This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Drag Forces Experienced by Two, Full-Scale Vehicles at Close Spacing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present study aims to document the drag reduction for a two-vehicle platoon by operating two full-scale Ford Windstar vans in tandem on a desert lakebed. Drag forces are measured with the aid of a special tow bar force measuring system designed and manufactured at USC. The testing procedure consists of a smooth acceleration, followed by a smooth deceleration of the platoon. Data collected during acceleration allows the calculation of the drag force on the trail-vehicle, while data collected during deceleration is used to calculate the drag on the lead vehicle. Results from the full-scale tests show that the drag behaviors for the two vans are in general agreement with the earlier conclusions drawn from the wind tunnel testsænamely, both vans experience substantial drag savings at spacings of a fraction of a car length.
CitationHong, P., Marcu, B., Browand, F., and Tucker, A., "Drag Forces Experienced by Two, Full-Scale Vehicles at Close Spacing," SAE Technical Paper 980396, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980396.
- Browand, F. Zabat, M. Tokumaru, P. 1997 “Aerodynamic Benefits from Close Following. Automated Highway Systems” Ioannou P Plenum Press
- Buckley, F. T. et al. 1976 “Analysis of a Coast Down Data to Assess Aerodynamic Drag Reduction on Full Scale Tractor Trailer Trucks in Windy Environments” SAE Paper No. 760850
- Hong, P. Browand, F. Marcu, B. 1997 “Design, Fabrication and Calibration of a Vehicle Tow Bar for Platoon Drag Measurements: A Working Report” California PATH Working Paper UCB-ITS-PWP-97-2
- Janosi, P. Z. 1996 “Windstar Coast Down Results”
- Passmore, M. A. Le Good, G. M. 1994 “A Detailed Drag Study Using the Coast Down Method” SAE Paper No. 940420
- Yasin, T. P. 1978 “The Analytical Basis of Automobile Coast Down Testing” SAE Paper 780338
- Zabat, M. Stabile, N. Frascaroli, S. Browand, F. 1995 “Drag Forces Experienced by 2, 3 & 4-Vehicle Platoons at Close Spacings” SAE Paper No. 940421