This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation into Unsteadiness and Instability in Passenger Car Aerodynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Flow unsteadiness has been investigated experimentally for two idealised model geometries including the Ahmed form. Several techniques were used including twin hot-wire probes located at different positions in the wake and a frequency domain correction method for pneumatic tubing. Levels of periodicity in the wakes and on the surfaces of the models have been examined using spectral analysis techniques. Unsteadiness was found to originate from movement of the closed separation bubble at the end of the large radii at the front of the models and from vortex shedding when large radius curved rear surfaces are present.
CitationSims-Williams, D. and Dominy, R., "Experimental Investigation into Unsteadiness and Instability in Passenger Car Aerodynamics," SAE Technical Paper 980391, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980391.
- Docton MKR, Dominy RG. Passenger Vehicles in Unsteady Cross Winds. RAeS Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference, University of Loughborough 1994
- Irwin HPAH, Cooper KR, Girard R. Correction of Distortion Effects Caused by Tubing Systems in Measurements of Fluctuating Pressures. Journal of Industrial Aerodynamics 5, 1979.
- Press WH, Teukolsky SA, Vetterling WT, Flannery BP. Numerical Recipes in Fortran second edition. Cambridge University Press, 1992.
- Gerrard JH. The Mechanics of the Formation Region of Vortices Behind Bluff Bodies. Journal of Fluid Mechanics Vol 25 pp401-413, 1966.
- Hamidy E. The Structure of Wakes of 3D Bluff Bodies in Proximity to the Ground. PhD Thesis, Department of Aeronautics, Imperial College, 1991.
- Dominy RG. Flow Unsteadiness over Passenger Vehicle Rear Surfaces, IMechE Autotech 95 paper C498/36/181, 1995.
- Ahmed SR, Ramm G, Faltin G. Some Salient Features of the Time-Averaged Ground Vehicle Wake. SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan. Paper 840300, 1984.
- Baxendale AJ, Graysmith JL, Howell J, Haynes T. Comparisons Between CFD and Experimental Results for the Ahmed Reference Model. RAeS Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference, University of Loughborough, 1994.
- Han T. Computational Analysis of Three-Dimensional Turbulent Flow Around a Bluff Body in Ground Proximity. AIAA Journal V27 No 9 Sept, 1989.
- Tsuboi K, Kuwahara K. Computational Study of Three Dimensional Flow around a Vehicle-Like Body. AIAA 20th Fluid Dynamics, Plasma Dynamics and Laser Conference, Buffalo, New York 12-14 June 1989.
- Pearson WE, Manners AP, Passmore MA. Prediction of the Flow around a Bluff Body in Close Proximity to the Ground. RAeS Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference, University of Loughborough 30.1-30.11, 1994.
- Gu CY, Jones IP, Simcox S, Ramnefors M, Svantesson J. Vehicle Aerodynamics Using CFDS-FLOW3d. RAeS Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference, University of Loughborough, 1994.
- Anagnost A, Alajbegovic A, Chen H, Hill D, Teixeira C, Molvig K. Digital Physics Analysis of the Morel Body in Ground Proximity. SAE International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan, Paper 970139, Feb 24-27, 1997.
- Matsunaga K, Miyata H, Aoki K, Zhu M. Finite-Difference Simulation of 3D Vortical Flows Past Road Vehicles. SAE 920339 in Vehicle Aerodynamics: Wake Flows, Computational Fluid Dynamics, and Aerodynamic Testing SP-908, 1992.
- Harvey JK. Some Observation of the Vortex Breakdown Phenominon. Journal of Fluid Mechanics vol 14 part 4, 1962.
- Harvey JK, Perry FJ. Flow Field Produced by Trailing Vortex in the Vicinity of the Ground. AIAA Journal vol 9 pp1659-1660, 1971.
- Bearman PW, Davis JP, Harvey JK. Wind Tunnel Investigation of Vehicle Wakes. Vehicle Aerodynamics International Symposium organised by Volkswagen AG-Research, 1982.
- Bearman PW. Some Observations on Road Vehicle Wakes. SAE Paper 840301, 1984.
- Goh EK. An Experimental Study into the Time-Dependent Characteristics of a Road Vehicle Wake Flow. PhD Thesis, Department of Aeronautics, Imperial College, 1995.
- Harvey JK. A Study of the Honda Accord in Cross Winds. Cross Wind Stability of Vehicles (Special Interest Group) MIRA, November, 1995.