This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Luminance Measurement, Contrast Sensitivity, Homogeneity: New Approaches of Defining the Quality of Headlamps
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The conventional measurements to describe the photometric quality of headlamps usually only comprise the luminous flux and the illuminance (resp. the luminous intensity) in several measuring points given by Type Approval Legislation. Practically, these photometric measurements do not describe the visual impression of a headlamp light distribution sufficiently, neither in lab nor in real street geometry.
With the clear outer lens headlamps introduced recently, filament images are projected directly onto the screens or streets, thus giving new impulses to research. Starting from the established photometric practice, other types of measurements and physiological fundamentals will be discussed. The basic tools to make physical measurement and physiological impression comparable, e.g. in terms of homogeneity, are shown.
CitationHamm, M. and Lampen, M., "Luminance Measurement, Contrast Sensitivity, Homogeneity: New Approaches of Defining the Quality of Headlamps," SAE Technical Paper 980324, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980324.
- Adrian, W. Visibility of Targets: Model for Calculation Lighting Research and Technology 21 4 1989
- Blackwell, H.R. Contrast Thresholds of the Human Eye Journal of the Optical Society of America 36 11 1946
- CIE International Lighting Vocabulary 3rd 1970
- CIE Contrast and Visibility 1992
- CIE An Analytical Model for Describing the Influence of Lighting Parameters upon Visual Performance 1981
- Damasky, J. Darmstadt 1995
- DeMatiello, M.L.F Gonella, A. Mazzeo, E. Characteristics of Contrast Vision Colour Vision Deficiencies X Cagliari 1989 1991
- Farber. E. Revising the DETECT Seeing Distance Model SAE Technical Paper Series, 880716 1988
- Hamm, M. 1993
- Neumann, R. Stoll, H. Headlamp Light Performance - Criteria for Customer Satisfaction SAE Technical Paper Series 960790 1996
- Schmidt-Clausen, H.-J. 1995
- Schuman, J. Sivak M. et al. Qualitative Evaluation of Headlamp Beam Pattern Uniformity 1997
- Spada, H. Lehrbuch allgemeine Psychologie Huber Hans 1992