This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
X-Ray CT-Scan Digitizing for the Inspection and Computational Analysis of Complex Engine Parts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper deals with the problem of complex engine part analysis. It presents an original approach based on the use of X-ray Computed Tomography scan digitizing method. In comparison with classical digitizing method, Computed Tomography method proves to be the only solution in the case of complex parts with internal areas. A validation example for which the precision of the method is estimated, is proposed. At last, the potential of the method is illustrated through the complex example of an engine head cooling circuit for which a computational CFD calculation is made.
CitationMénégazzi, P., Perrocheau, R., Seguin, O., Henriot, S. et al., "X-Ray CT-Scan Digitizing for the Inspection and Computational Analysis of Complex Engine Parts," SAE Technical Paper 980307, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980307.
- Lorensen W. Cline H. E. “Marching Cubes: a High Resolution 3d Surface Construction Algorithm” ACM Computer Graphics (SIGGRAPH'87) 21 163 169 1987
- Delingette H. Seguin O. Perrocheau R. Ménégazzi P. “Accuracy of 3D Reconstruction from CT-Scan Images for Inspection of Industrial Parts” Int. Conf. on Quality Control by Artificial Vision Le Creusot (France) May 1997 80 85
- Besl P. J. McKay N. D. “A Method for Registration of 3D Shapes” IEEE Transaction on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 14 2 Feb 1992
- Masuda T. Yokoya N. “A robust method for registration and segmentation of multiple range images” Computer Vision and Image Understanding 61 3 295 307 May 1995
- Ménégazzi P. Trapy J. “A new approach to the modeling of engine cooling systems” proceedings of the 3rd IMechE Int. Conf. on Computers in Reciprocating Engines and Gas Turbines London 1996 153 161
- Porot P. A. Ménégazzi P. Ap N. S. “Understanding and improving evaporative engine cooling at high load, high speed by engine test and 3D calculations” 3rd VTMS conference Indianapolis May 1997 SAE 971792
- Chabard J. P. Metivet B. Pot G. Thomas B. “An efficient finite element method for the computation of 3D turbulent incompressible flows” Finite Element in Fluid Hemisphere publishing corporation 1992 8