This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Spray Characteristics on Combustion in a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Meeting the future exhaust emission and fuel consumption standards for passenger cars will require refinements in how the combustion process is carried out in spark ignition engines. A direct injection system decrease fuel consumption under road load cruising conditions, and stratified charge of the fuel mixture is particularly effective for ultra lean combustion. On the other hands, there are requirements for higher output power of gasoline engines. A direct injection system for a spark ignition engine is seen as a promising technique to meet these requirements. To get higher output power at wide open throttle conditions, spray characteristics and in-cylinder air flow must be optimized. In this paper, the engine system, which has a side injection type engine and flat piston, was investigated. We tried some injectors, which have different spray characteristics, and examined effects of spray characteristics on combustion of the direct injection gasoline engine.
CitationShiraishi, T., Nakayama, Y., Nogi, T., and Ohsuga, M., "Effect of Spray Characteristics on Combustion in a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 980156, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980156.
- Shiraishi, T. et al., A study of the mixture preparation process on spark ignited, direct fuel injection engine, IPC-8, No. 9530409 (1995)
- Shiraishi, T. et al., Influence of the spray pattern on combustion characteristics in direct injection engines (in Japanese with English summary), Transactions of JSAE, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 17-22(1997)
- Shiraishi, T. et al., Influence of the spray pattern on combustion characteristics in a direct injection engine, JSAE Review, Vol.18, No. 4, pp. 401-403(1997)
- Ohsuga, M. et al., Mixture preparation for direct injection SI engine, SAE Paper 970542
- Nogi, T. et al., The hitachi electronic fuel system for gasoline direct injection engines, Proceeding of the 3rd international Seminar of ATA, No.97A4004(1997)
- Kume, T. et al., Combustion control technologies for direct injection SI engines, SAE Paper 960600 (1996)
- Matsushita, S. et al., Mixture formation process and combustion process of direct injection SI engine, Proceedings of '96 Autumn Convention of JSAE, No. 9638022 (1996)
- Noda, T. et al., Effects of fuel and air mixing on WOT output in direct injection gasoline engine, Proceedings of '97 Autumn Convention of JSAE, No. 9740307 (1997)