This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Novel CFD Techniques For In-Cylinder Flows On Tetrahedral Grids
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An innovative approach for computing in-cylinder flowfields on tetrahedral grids is developed and demonstrated. The primary focus of the preliminary work presented in this paper is the development of an efficient mesh motion scheme for realistic engine geometries. An automated cell layering technique has been devised which embeds/deletes layers of tetrahedral cells as the cylinder flow domain expands/shrinks. The ability to compute in-cylinder flows using this new “multi-zone” concept is demonstrated for a twin-valve gasoline engine.
- N. Sinha - Combustion Research and Flow Technology, Inc.
- P. A. Cavallo - Combustion Research and Flow Technology, Inc.
- R. A. Lee - Combustion Research and Flow Technology, Inc.
- A. Hosangadi - Combustion Research and Flow Technology, Inc.
- D. C. Kenzakowski - Combustion Research and Flow Technology, Inc.
- S.M. Dash - Combustion Research and Flow Technology, Inc.
- H. Affes - Ford Motor Company
- D. Chu - Ford Motor Company
CitationSinha, N., Cavallo, P., Lee, R., Hosangadi, A. et al., "Novel CFD Techniques For In-Cylinder Flows On Tetrahedral Grids," SAE Technical Paper 980138, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980138.
- Lee, R.A. Hosangadi, A. Dash, S.M. Cavallo, P.A. Sinha, N. “Unstructured Grid Navier-Stokes Solver for Turbulent Reacting Flows with Dynamic Domains,” AIAA Paper 97-2000 June 1997
- Hosangadi, A. Lee., R.A. York, B.J. Sinha, N. Dash, S.M. “Upwind Unstructured Scheme for Three-Dimensional Combusting Flows.” Journal of Propulsion and Power 12 3 494 502 May-June 1996
- Cavallo, P.A. Hosangadi, A. Lee, R.A. Dash, S.M. “Dynamic Unstructured Grid Methodology with Application to Aero/Propulsive Flowfields,” AIAA Paper 97-2310 June 1997
- Saad, Y. Schultz, M. “GMRES: A Generalized Minimal Residual Algorithm for Solving Nonsymmetric Linear Systems.” SIAM Journal of Scientific and Statistical Computing 7 856 869 1986
- Venkatakrishnan, V. Mavriplis, D.J. “Computation of Unsteady Flows over Complex Geometries in Relative Motion.” Proceedings of the First AFOSR Conference on Dynamic Motion CFD 95 112 June 1996
- Fortin, F. Jones, D.J. “Computations for Moving Stores Using Hybrid Grids,” Proc. 1st AFOSR Conference on Dynamic Motion CFD 75 91 June 1996
- Singh, K.P. Newman, J.C. Baysal, O. “Dynamic Unstructured Method for Flows Past Multiple Objects in Relative Motion.” AIAA Journal 33 4 641 649 April 1995
- Pirzadeh, S. “Three-Dimensional Unstructured Viscous Grids by the Advancing-Layers Method,” AIAA Journal 34 1 43 49 January 1996
- Parikh, P. Pirzadeh, S. L÷hner, R. “A Package for 3-D Unstructured Grid Generation, Finite-Element Flow Solutions and Flow-Field Visualization,” NASA CR-182090 September 1990
- Löhner, R. Parikh, P “Generation of Three-Dimensional Unstructured Grids by the Advancing Front Method,” International Journal of Numerical Methods In Fluids 8 1988 1135 1149
- Pirzadeh, S. “Structured Background Grids for Generation of Unstructured Grids By Advancing Front Method,” AIAA Paper 91-3233 1991
- Kenzakowski, D.C. York, B.J. “Inclusion of Compressible Wall Function Methodology Into CRAFT Navier-Stokes Code,” Final Report for NSWC-DD, CRAFT Tech Report No. CRAFTR-2/97.003 Feb. 1997
- Jou, W.H. Menon, S. “Modes of Oscillations in a Non-Reacting Ramjet Combustor Flows,” J. of Propulsion 6 5 1990 535 543
- Erlebacher, G. Hussaini, M.Y. Speziale, C.G. Zang, T.A. “Toward the Large Eddy Simulation of Compressible Turbulent Flows,” J. of Fluid Mech . 238 1992
- Sinha, N. Dash, S.M. Madabhushi, R.K. “Recent Advances in Jet Flowfield Simulation: Part II - Unsteady Flows,” AIAA Paper 93-4391 October 1993
- Sinha, N York, B.J. Cavallo, P.A. “Aircraft Weapon Bay Turbulent Flow Simulation Model,” Phase I SBIR Final Technical Report for Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Div., Report #.: CRAFTR-9/97.011 Sept. 1997
- Dash, S.M Sinha, N. Hosangadi, A. “Progress in the Simulation of Aero/Propulsive/Combustive Flows with Non-Linear Acoustic Features,” AIAA Paper 97-0019, 35th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Mtg. Reno, NV Jan. 6ù9 1997
- Dash, S.M. “A Perspective on the Simulation of Compressible Turbulent Separated Flows,” Paper No. FEDSM97-3283 1997 ASME Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada June 22ù26 1997
- Orszag, S.A. Flannery, W.S. “Unsteady Turbulence Model Simulations,” NAS Technical Summaries, RP-1355 March 93 February 94
- Sinha, N. Dash, S.M. Findlay, D. “A Perspective on the Simulation of Cavity Aeroacoustics,” AIAA Paper 98-0286 36th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Reno, NV January 12 15 1998
- Kim, W.W. Menon, S. “A New Dynamic One-Equation Subgrid Scale Model for Large Eddy Simulation,” AIAA Paper No. 95-0356 January 1995
- Kim, W.W. Menon, S. “Application of the Localized Dynamic Subgrid Scale Model To Turbulent Wall Bounded Flows,” AIAA 97-0210 January 1997