This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prediction of DI Diesel Engine Emissions by Multidimensional Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Spray model of KIVA-II code was modified by comparing with experimentally measured spray liquid phase penetration and spray image in a transparent engine. The KIVA-II code with modified spray model was applied to a HSDI engine with different combustion chamber shapes, nozzle specifications and injection pressures. The results were compared with experimental emissions and it was found that the modified KIVA-II code was relatively able to predict the effects of engine design factors such as combustion chamber shape and injector on NOx and soot emissions.
CitationIshii, Y., Zhang, L., Hamaguchi, K., Minami, T. et al., "Prediction of DI Diesel Engine Emissions by Multidimensional Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 980130, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980130.
- Amsden, A.A. O'Rourke, P.J. Butler, T.D. “KIVA-II: A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays” Los Alamos Notional Laboratory report LA-11560-MS 1989
- Kong, S.C. Reitz, R.D “Multidimensional Modeling of Diesel Ignition and Combustion Using a Multistep Kinetics Model” ASME Paper No.93-ICE-22 1993
- Johns, R.J.R. “Progress in the Development of a Detailed Model for Diesel Combusiton” COMODIA'90 577 586 1990
- Reitz, R.D. Ayoub, N. Gonzalez, M. Hessel, R. Kong, S. Lian, J. Pieper, C. Rutland, C.J. “Improvements in 3-D Modeling of Diesel Intake Flow and Combustion” SAE Paper 921627 1992
- Gonzalez D,M.A Lian, Z.W Reitz, R.D. “Modeling Diesel Engine Spray Vaporization and Combustion” SAE Paper 920579 1992
- Alloca, L. Belardini, P. Bertoli, C. Corcioune, F.E. Angelis, F.D. “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of a Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 920576 1992
- Liu, A.B. Mather, D. Reitz, R.D. “Modeling the Effects of Drop Drag and Breakup on Fuel Spray” SAE Paper 930072 1993
- Curtis, E.W. Uludogan, A. Reitz, R.D. “A New High Pressure Droplet Vaporization Model for Diesel Engine Modeling” SAE Paper 952431 1995
- Tabata, T. Ishii, Y. Takatsuki, T. Yokota, K. “Numerical Calculation of Spray Mixing Process in a D.I. Diesel Engine and Comparison with Experiments” SAE paper 950301 1995
- Ricart, L.M. Xin, J. Bower, G.R. Reitz, R.D. “In-Cylinder Measurement and Modeling of Liquid Fuel Spray Penetration in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine” SAE paper 971591
- Hiroyasu, H. “Diesel Engine Combustion and Its Modeling” COMODIA'85 53 75 1985
- Belardini, P. Bertoli, C. Ciajolo, A. D'Anna, A. Del Giacomo, N. “Three-Dimensional Calculations of DI Diesel Engine Combustion and Comparison with In- Cylinder Smpling Valve Data” SAE paper 92225 1992
- Patterson, M.A Kong, S.C. Hampson, G.J. Reitz, R.D. “Modeling the Effects of Fuel Injection Characteristics on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions” SAE paper 940523
- Ueda, T. Zhang, L. Fujino, R. Hamaguchi, K. “Combustion Characteristics of an HSDI Diesel Engine” Transactions of JSAE 28 1 35 40 1997
- Kawashima, J. Matsui, Y. “Improvement of Diesel Engine, Combustion and Emissions Calculations Using a Fuel-Spray Package Model” Proceeding of The 10th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium Japan(in Japanese) 379 384 1992
- Zhang, L. Tsurushima, T. Ueda, T. Ishii, Y. Itou, T. Minami, T. Yokota, K. “Measurement of Liquid Phase Penetration of Evaporating Spray in a DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 971645 1997