This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance of Serpentine Heat Exchangers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In an earlier investigation (Mathur, 1997a; 1997b), the author had developed a simulation program for predicting the thermal and hydrodynamic performance of the automotive heat exchangers. The performance of finned tube condenser and evaporator was simulated and compared with the experimentally obtained data. The simulated performance for both condenser and evaporator was in good agreement with the experimental data.
In this paper, the performance of serpentine condenser and evaporator is simulated by using the computer program developed earlier by the author. None of the original correlations for predicting the heat transfer, pressure drop, void fraction are changed. However, the computational methodology had to be changed as the flow in a serpentine heat exchanger is different than in finned tube heat exchangers. The working fluid used in this investigation is R-134a. The simulated performance is compared with the experimentally obtained data on the calorimeter tests. The simulated and the experimental data are in good agreement. Detailed performance data has been presented in this paper. Hence, the developed program may be used as a tool to optimize the performance of the serpentine heat exchangers (both condensers and evaporators) for a given set of operating parameters.
Work is continuing on predicting the performance of parallel flow condensers and laminate type evaporators by using the developed model.
CitationMathur, G., "Performance of Serpentine Heat Exchangers," SAE Technical Paper 980057, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980057.
- ASHRAE 1993 Handbook Fundamentals
- Bergles, A.E. Collier, J.G. Delhaya, J.M. Hewitt, G.F. Mayinger, F. 1981 Two-phase flow and heat transfer in the power and process industries Hemisphere publishing corporation
- Davis, E.J. David, M.M. 1961 Heat transfer to high quality stream-water mixtures in a horizontal rectangular duct Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering 19 June
- Eckel, S.J. Pate, M.B. 1991 In-tube evaporation and condensation of refrigerant-lubricant mixtures of HFC-134a and CFC-12 ASHRAE Transactions 97 62 70
- Giri, N.K 1977 “Pressure drop in adiabatic two-phase, two-component flow on 180× bends.” Indian Journal of Technology 15 1 7
- Lockhart, R.W. Martinelli, R.C. 1949 “Proposed correlation of data for isothermal two-phase, two-component flow in pipes.” Chemical Engineering Prog . 45 1 39 48
- Mathur, G.D. 1993 Alternatives takes on R-12 Engineered Systems 10 7 September 49 53
- Mathur, G.D. 1997 Modeling and Simulation of Thermal and Hydrodynamic Performance of Heat Exchangers for Automotive Applications - Part I: Condensers New Developments in Heat Exchangers for Automotive Design (SP-1262) SAE , Paper # 970829 11 19
- Mathur, G.D. 1997 Modeling and Simulation of Thermal and Hydrodynamic Performance of Heat Exchangers for Automotive Applications - Part II: Evaporators New Developments in Heat Exchangers for Automotive Design (SP-1262) SAE , Paper # 970830 21 30
- Mathur, G.D. Goswami, D.Y. 1996 An experimental investigation of the effect of moisture on the performance of an air-conditioning system 31st Intersociety Energy Conversion Conference 3 2021 2026
- Nusselt, W. 1915 60 541
- Rohsenow, W.M. 1952 A method of correlating heat transfer data for surface boiling liquids ASME Transactions 74 969 976
- Rohsenow, W.M. Harnett, J.P. 1973 Handbook of heat transfer McGraw-Hill New York
- Sieder, E.N. Tate, G.E. 1936 “Heat transfer and pressure drop in liquids in tubes.” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 28 12 1429
- Rhee, R.W. Young, E.H. 1974 Heat transfer to boiling refrigerants flowing inside a plain copper tube AIChE symposium series 70 138 64 70
- Sugihara, A. Lukas, H.G. 1990 Performance of parallel flow condensers in vehicular applications SAE Paper # 900597
- Trauger, P.E. Hughes, G.G. 1993 Construction and performance of the PFE evaporator SAE Paper # 930155
- Zexel USA Evaporator Calorimeter Test Report # LET-091 1992
- Zexel USA Condenser Calorimeter Test Report #LCN-053 1992
- Zhang, M. Webb, R.L. 1997 Effect of oil on R-134a condensation in parallel flow condensers Proceedings of Vehicle Thermal Management Systems Conference SAE 369 376