This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fiber Optic Cable Assemblies for Space Flight Applications: Issues and Remedies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The following is the first in a series of white papers which will be issued as a result of a task to define and qualify space grade fiber optic cable assemblies. Though to qualify and use a fiber optic cable in space requires treatment of the cable assembly as a system, it is very important to understand the design and behavior of its parts. These papers will address that need, providing information and “lessons learned” that are being collected in the process of procuring, testing and specifying the final assemblies. This installment covers information on optical fiber, coatings, cable components, design guidelines and limitations, radiation and reliability.
|Aerospace Standard||AS6021 Aerospace Fiber Optic Cable Assembly Drawing Specification|
|Aerospace Standard||Verification of Discrete and Packaged Photonic Device Technology Readiness|
|Aerospace Standard||Electrical Connectors for Aerospae, Shipboard, Ground Vehicles and Associated Equipment|
CitationOtt, M., Plante, J., Shaw, J., and Garrison-Darrin, M., "Fiber Optic Cable Assemblies for Space Flight Applications: Issues and Remedies," SAE Technical Paper 975592, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/975592.
- Draft Specification for Optical Cable, Single, Multimode, Fiber, Hermetic, Loose Tube Buffer, For Space Flight, Plante J., Ott M., Shaw J., Garrison-Darrin M. A., 1996
- McMurray Lisa, “Analysis of Kevlar Strength Members for Space Qualified Fiber Optic Cables,” Martin Marietta Aerospace Group, Space Systems Company.
- Outgassing Reports from Lockheed-Martin.
- Barnes C. E., Greenwell R. A., Nelson. G. W., “The effect of fiber coating on the radiation response of fluorosilicate clad, pure silica core step index fibers,” SPIE proceedings Vol. 787 1987
- Friebele E. J., “Survivability of Photonic Systems in Space” DoD Fiber Optics Conference, McLean VA, March 24-27, 1992.
- Friebele E. J., “Photonics in the Space Environment,” IEEE Nuclear Space Radiation Effects Conference, San Diego CA, 1991.
- Iino Akira, Tamura Junich, “Radiation Resistivity in Silica Optical Fibers”, Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 6(2), pp. 145-149, IEEE 1988.
- Friebele E. J., Gingerich, M.E. Griscom, D. L. “Extrapolating Radiation-Induced Loss Measurements in Optical Fibers from the Laboratory to Real World Environments”, 4th Biennial Department of Defense Fiber Optics and Photonics Conference, March 22-24, 1994.
- Mirata Hiroshi, Handbook of Optical Fibers and Cables, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1996.
- Materials Selection Guide, NASA
- Engineering Polymer Sourcebook, Seymour Raymond B. Dr., McGraw-Hill Publishing Company.
- Connectors and Interconnections Handbook, Vol. 4, Materials. Ginsberg Gerald, editor
- Interoffice Memorandum from Charles Barnes on radiation hardness assurance for SAR fiber optic link, Feb. 19, 1996.
- Technical report from W.L. Gore
- Sterling, Donald J. Jr. Technicians Guide to Fiber Optics, Delmar Publishers, Inc. 1987.