This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The 100-Year Chanute Glider Replica, An Adventure in Education
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Over 100 years ago, a group of aeronautical experimenters led by Octave Chanute flew a series of glider designs along the Southern shore of Lake Michigan. An authentic replica of their most successful biplane design was engineered, constructed, tested and safely flown by the author. The avocational project was a multi-disciplinary educational adventure in the context of recreating a part of early aviation history. This paper discusses early history, engineering and construction, flight test results, and educational aspects of the replica project.
CitationDees, P., "The 100-Year Chanute Glider Replica, An Adventure in Education," SAE Technical Paper 975573, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/975573.
- Chanute, Octave Progress in Flying Machines New York: The American Engineer and Railroad Journal 1894
- Chanute, Octave “Appendix IV: Chanute Documents” The Papers of Wilbur and Orville Wright McFarland M. W. 1 McGraw-Hill New York 1953 641 654
- Chanute, Octave “Recent Experiments in Gliding Flight” Aeronautical Annual 1897 Means James 1897 30 53
- Chanute, Octave “Some American Experiments” The Aeronautical Journal January 1898
- Chanute, Octave “Gliding Experiments” Journal of the Western Society of Engineers Nov. 1897 600
- Chanute, Octave “Evolution of the Two-Surface Flying Machine” Aeronautics 3 Sept. Oct. 1908
- Crouch, Tom A Dream of Wings: Americans and the Airplane 1875 1905 Norton, New York 1981
- Crouch, Tom “Octave Chanute and the Indiana Glider Trials of 1896” AIAA Journal 35 5 May 1997
- Husting, Eugene “The Contribution of Augustus Herring” Soaring September 1976
- Husting, Eugene “Augustus M Herring” WW1 Aero, #130 November 1990
- Chanute, Octave “La Navigation Aerienne Aux EtatsUnis” L'Aerophile, Aout 1903
- Opdyche, Leo drawings in WW1 Aero, #125 August 1989 22 23
- Husting, Eugene letter in WW1 Aero, #128 May 1990 106
- Miley, S. J. A Catalog Of Low Reynolds Number Airfoil Data For Wind Turbine Applications Dept. Of Aerospace Engineering, Texas A&M University February 1982
- Hoemer, Sigfried Fluid Dynamic Drag Hoemer Fluid Dynamics Bricktown, N.J. 1965
- Linair 1.46 (Computer Program) Desktop Aeronautics Stanford, CA.
- Kilkenny, E. A. “Full Scale Wind Tunnel Tests on Hang Glider Pilots” Cranfield College of Aeronautics Report 8416 April 1984
- Munk, Max M. “The Air Forces on a Systematic Series of Biplane and Triplane Cellule Models” NACA Report 256, figure 6 1927
- Dees, Paul “Building and Flying A 100-Year-Old Glider Design” Hang Gliding December 1996
- Johnson, Dan “An Octave Chanute Replica Flies!” EAA Experimenter February 1997
- Swinich, James “The National Soaring Museum's Eighth National Landmark of Soaring - Octave Chanute and His Assistants” National Soaring Museum Historical Journal 18 2 1996