Electronic Approach Chart Display Issues: Design Recommendations from Part-Mission Simulation Evaluation
Published October 1, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
The transition towards the “paper-less cockpit” presents an opportunity for transferring approach chart information from the current paper format to an electronic medium. This transfer offers a number of potential benefits, but also raises design issues, that need to be resolved. This paper addresses several issues that are relevant to the electronic depiction of approach information and presents performance data-based design guidelines pertaining to the issues in question: (1) Amount of displayed information or display “clutter,” (2) map orientation, and (3) information location/integration.
CitationHofer, E., "Electronic Approach Chart Display Issues: Design Recommendations from Part-Mission Simulation Evaluation," SAE Technical Paper 975555, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/975555.
- Hofer, E. F., Palen, L. A., Dresel, K. M., & Jones, W. P. (1991). Flight Deck Information Management-Phase I, FAA Contractor Report DTFA01-90-C-00055. Seattle, WA: Boeing Commercial Airplane Group, Document D6-56305.
- Hofer, E. F., Palen, L. A., Higman, K. N., Infield, S. E. & Póssolo, A. (1992). Flight Deck Information Management-Phase II, FAA Contractor Report DTFA01-90-C-00055. Seattle, WA: Boeing Commercial Airplane Group, Document D6-56305-1.
- Hofer, E. F., Kimball, S. P., Pepitone, D. D. T., Higman, K. N., Infield, S. E. & Póssolo, A. (1994). Flight Deck Information Management-Phase III, FAA Contract DTFA01-90-C-00055. (Report No.: FAA-RD-94-xxxxx)
- Boeing Commercial Airplane Company (1990). Statistical summary of commercial jet aircraft accidents-worldwide operations 1959 - 1989. Product Safety Report, April, 1990. Seattle, WA: Boeing Commercial Airplanes.
- Aviation Safety Reporting System (1993). Approach information reports. Aviation Safety Reporting System (ASRS), Search Request Report No. 2768. Mountain View, CA: ASRS.
- Hofer, E. F., Palen, L. P., & Póssolo, A. (1993). Flight deck information management: An experimental study of functional integration of approach data, Proceedings of the Seventh International Symposium on Aviation Psychology (pp. 119-125). Columbus, OH: Ohio State University.
- Bailey, R. W. (1993). Performance vs. preference. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 37th Annual (pp. 282 - 285). Seattle, Washington, 10/11-15, 1993.
- Hofer, E. F. (1996). Bridging the gap between theory and application: An Evaluation of the display issues of map clutter, rotation, and integration. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, 1996. ©UMI Dissertation Services, Ann Arbor, Michigan, UMI Number: 9712307.
- Hofer, E. F. & Wickens, C. D. (1997). Part-mission simulation evaluation of issues associated with electronic approach chart displays. Proceedings of the Ninth International Symposium on Aviation Psychology. Columbus, OH: Ohio State University, 4/27 - 5/1, 1997.
- Mocharnuk, J. B. (1978). Visual target acquisition of ocular scanning performance. Human Factors, 20(5), 611-631.
- Eriksen, B. A. & Eriksen, C. W. (1974). Effects of noise letters upon the identification of a target letter in a non-search task. Perception & Psychophysics, 16, 143-149.
- Dye, C. J., & Snyder, H. L. (1991). The effects of display failures, polarity, and clutter on visual search for symbols on cartographic images. (Technical Memorandum HEL-TM-9-91, April, 1991). Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD: U.S. Army Human Engineering Laboratory.
- Regal, D. M., & Knapp, B. G. (1984). An aid for improved information processing of high density computer generated visual displays. Proceedings of the Human Factors Society 28th Annual Meeting. Santa Monica, CA: Human Factors Society (p. 538).
- Mykityshyn, M. G. & Hansman, J. R. (1993). Electronic instrument approach plates: The effect of selective decluttering on flight crew performance. Proceedings of the Seventh International Symposium on Aviation Psychology (pp. 33 -37). Columbus, OH: Ohio State University.
- Aretz, A. J. (1991). The design of electronic map displays. Human Factors, 33(1), 85-101.
- Olmos, O., Liang, C-C., & Wickens, C. D. (1997). Electronic map evaluation in simulated visual meteorological conditions. The International Journal of Aviation Psychology, 7(1), 37-66.
- Williams, H. P. & Wickens, C. D. (1993). A comparisons of methods for promoting geographic knowledge in simulated aircraft navigation. (Technical Report ARL-93-9/NASA-93-3). Savoy, Illinois: Aviation Research Lab.
- Andre, A. & Wickens, C. D. (1991). A componential approach to display layout analysis (Technical Report ARL-91-6/NASA A3I-91-2). Savoy, IL: University of Illinois Aviation Research Laboratory.
- Wickens, C. D. & Carswell, M. (1995). The proximity compatibility principle: Its psychological foundation and relevance to display design. Human Factors 37(3), 473-494.