This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Pelvic Injuries in Side Impact Collisions: A Field Accident Analysis and Dynamic Tests on Isolated Pelvic Bones
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 12, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The accidentological studies dealing with automotive side collisions suggest that the pelvis is very vulnerable. Car manufacturers are more and more concerned with the protection of the occupant in lateral impact, but there is a lack of knowledge of the behavior of the pelvic bony structure and of its biomechanical tolerances. This knowledge however is essential in order to optimize protection devices and car structures with regard to the security of the occupants. The main goal of this study is thus two-fold:
First, a field accident analysis was carried out in order to document the lesions and the injury mechanisms encountered in lateral impact. The accident database of the Laboratory of Accidentology and Biomechanics (LAB) was used and a sample of 219 injured occupants sustaining 381 injuries in lateral collision enables to evaluate the most frequent injuries and their location. Those injuries were also analyzed with regard to the car characteristics.
- Second, an experimental study of the pelvic bony structure subjected to dynamic loads was carried out in order to document its biomechanical behavior and its lesion threshold. 12 pelves were tested under side loading conditions. Displacement, accelerations, applied force, and local strains of the pubic rami were obtained.
From those two parallel studies, the main conclusions drawn out were:
There was a good agreement between the real life observations and those coming from the dynamic tests.
- The fracture threshold was well bordered by the chosen energy level of impact, and consequently, a first corridor including the behavior of the pelvic bony structure up to the level of injury is proposed.
|Technical Paper||Pediatric Pelvic Fractures in Side Impact Collisions|
|Technical Paper||Biomechanical Response and Injury Tolerance of the Pelvis in Twelve Sled Side Impacts|
CitationGuillemot, H., Besnault, B., Robin, S., Got, C. et al., "Pelvic Injuries in Side Impact Collisions: A Field Accident Analysis and Dynamic Tests on Isolated Pelvic Bones," SAE Technical Paper 973322, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/973322.
SAE 1997 Transactions - Journal of Passenger Cars
Number: V106-6; Published: 1998-09-15
Number: V106-6; Published: 1998-09-15
- Association For The Advancement Of Automotive Medicine Abbreviated Injury Scale Revision 1990
- Chamouard F Brun-Cassan F Le Coz JY Guillon F Bouchard L Simulation Of The Human Behavior In Lateral Impact IRCOBI 1993 159 173
- Cavanaugh JM Walilko TJ Malhotra A Zhu Y King AI Biomechanichal Response And Injury Tolerance Of The Pelvis In Twelve Sled Side Impacts STAPP Conference 1990 1 12 SAE 902305
- Cesari D Ramet M Clair P-Y Evaluation Of Pelvic Fracture Tolerance In Side Impact STAPP Conference 1980 231 253
- Cesari D Ramet M Pelvic Tolerance And Protection Criteria In Side Impact STAPP Conference 1982 145 154 SAE 821159
- Cesari D Bouquet R Zac R A New Pelvis Design For The European Side Impact Dummy Stapp Conference 1984 1 11 SAE 841650
- Dejeammes N Fractures Du Bassin Au Cours Des Chocs Latéraux Automobiles Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1978
- Dischinger PC Cushing BM Kerns TJ Injury Patterns Associated With Direction Of Impact Drivers Admitted To Trauma Centers J Of Trauma 1993 35 o 3 454 459
- Guillemot H Skalli W Lavaste F Got C Le Coz JY Static Behavior of the Pelvic Bone under Side Loading Conditions PLEI Conference Washington DC 1995
- Hartemann F Thomas C Foret-Bruno JY Henry C Fayon A Tarriere C Occupant Protection In Lateral Impacts STAPP Conference 1976 191 219
- Kallieris D Mattern R Schmidt G Eppinger RH Quantification Of Side Impact Responses And Injuries STAPP Conference 1981 329 366 SAE 811009
- Lestina DC Gloyns PF Rattenburry SJ Fatally Injured Occupants In Side Impact Crashes ESV Conference 1991 701 707
- Lewis P R Jr Molz F J Schmidtke S Z A NASS-Based Investigation of Pelvic Injury within the Motor Vehicle Crash Environment SAE 962419
- Lister RD Neilson ID Protection Of Car Occupants Against Side Impacts STAPP Conference 1969 39 60
- Marcus JH Morgan RM Eppinger RH Kallieris D Mattern R Schmidt G Human Response To And Injury From Lateral Impact STAPP Conference 1983 419 432 SAE 831634
- Melvin J-W Robbins D-H Stalnaker R-L Side Impact Response And Injury 6th ESV Conference 1976 681 689
- Mills PJ Hobbs CA The Probability Of Injury To Car Occupants In Frontal And Side Impacts STAPP Conference 1984 223 235 SAE 841652
- Nuscholtz GS Alem NM Melvin JW Impact Response And Injury Of The Pelvis STAPP Conference Proceedings 1982 103 144 SAE 821160
- Nuscholtz GS Kaiser PS Experimental Data For Development Of Finite Element Models National Highway Traffic Safety Administration 3 Dec 1985
- Nuscholtz GS Kaiser PS Pelvic Stress J Of Biomechanics 1986 19 o 12 1003 1014
- Plummer J W Bidez M W Alonso J Parametric Finite Element Studies of the Human Pelvis: The Influence of Load Magnitude and Duration on Pelvic Tolerance During Side Impact SAE 962411
- Ramet M Cesari D Experimental Study Of Pelvis Tolerance In Lateral Impact Ircobi 1978 243 249
- Renaudin F Guillemot H Lavaste F Skalli W Got C Mechanical Behavior Of Pelvic Bone in Axial Loading ISATA Conference Oct 1993
- Renaudin F Guillemot H Lavaste F Skalli W A 3D Finite Element Model Of Pelvis In Side Impact STAPP Conference Nov 1993
- Reynolds HM Snow CC Young JW Spatial Geometry of the Human Pelvis
- Rouhana SW Foster ME Lateral Impact - An Analysis Of The Statistics In The NCSS STAPP Conference 1985 79 98 SAE 851727
- Tarriere C Walfisch G Fayon A Rosey J-P Synthesis of Human Tolerances Obtained From Lateral Impact Simulations 7th ESV Conference 1979 359 373
- Viano DC Biomechanical Responses And Injuries In Blunt Lateral Impact STAPP Conference Proceedings 1989 113 142
- Zhu JY Cavanaugh JM King AI Pelvic Biomechanical Response and Padding Benefits in Side Impact Based on a Cadaveric Test Series STAPP Conference 1993 SAE 933128