This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparison of Alternative Anchorage Systems for Child Restraints in Side Impacts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 12, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the results of a test program comparing the performance of the CAUSFIX (originally known as CANFIX) and the Uniform Child Restraint Anchorage (UCRA) systems to the conventional Australian anchorage system of adult belt and top tether. Each anchorage configuration was subjected to both 45 and 90 degree simulated side impacts. The performance of the attachment systems was assessed using the TNO P3/4 dummy in both a rearward facing restraint and a forward facing restraint. Assessment was based on peak head acceleration and displacement.
The results indicate that both the CAUSFIX and the UCRA system can provide improved protection for children in side impacts. The CAUSFIX system was found to offer the greatest potential for improvement.
The results of this work are significant to the current debate concerning the proposed draft international standard for universal anchorage systems.
|Technical Paper||Child Restraint Tether Straps - A Simple Method of Increasing Safety for Children|
|Technical Paper||A Comparison of the Performance of Dedicated Child Restraint Attachment Systems (ISOFIX)|
CitationBrown, J., Kelly, P., and Griffiths, M., "A Comparison of Alternative Anchorage Systems for Child Restraints in Side Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 973303, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/973303.
- Brown J Kelly P Griffiths M Tong S Pak R The Performance of Tethered and Untethered Forward Facing Child Restraints 1995 International Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact Switzerland 1995
- Henderson, M. Children in Car Crashes: an in-depth study of car crashes involving child occupants Child Accident Prevention Foundation of Australia 1994
- Henderson M Brown J Paine M Injuries to Restrained Children 1994 AAAM Conference Lyon, France
- Kelly P Brown J Griffiths M Child Restraint Performance in Side Impacts With and Without Top Tethers and With and Without Rigid Attachment 1995 International Conference on the Biomechanics of Impact Switzerland 1995
- Kelly P Griffiths M Booth M Lemon J Crothers N Franks C Child Restraint Evaluation Program Fifteenth International Technical Conference on Enhanced Safety Melbourne 1996