This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ORI:Assessment Methodology and Influence of Engine Running Parameters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The method proposed here, allows estimation of the fuel tendency to produce ORI. The procedure lasts 32 hours and is carried out on a dedicated CFR-engine. The ORI is evaluated by comparison of the KLSA (Knock Limited Spark Advance) level, between the beginning and the end of the procedure.
In order to optimize the engine parameters, their influences on the ORI were investigated. Particularly, the impact of four of them fuel/air equivalence ratio, coolant temperature, spark advance, load) was precisely quantified, using an experimental design method.
Combustion parameters were also followed during the tests. It was observed that the heat transfer modifications contribute greatly to the ORI. Thermal diffusivities measured on the piston-top indicated that deposits located on here are not the main source of ORI.
CitationFaure, E. and Montagne, X., "ORI:Assessment Methodology and Influence of Engine Running Parameters," SAE Technical Paper 972933, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972933.
- Bower, S.L. Litzinger, T.A. Frottier, V. “The effect of Fuel Composition and Engine Deposits on Emissions from a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper N o 932707 1993
- Studzinski, W.M. Liiva, P.M. Choate, P.J. Acker, W.P. Smooke, M. Brezinsky, K. Litzingzer, T. Bower, S. “A Computational and Experimental Study of Combustion Chamber Deposit Effects on NOx Emissions” SAE Paper N o 932815 1993
- Bitting, W.H. Firmstone, G.P. Keller C.T. “Effects of cCombustion Chamber Deposits on Tailpipe Emissions” SAE Paper N o 940345 1994
- Heywood, J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill Publishing Company USA 1988 601
- Moore, S.M. “Combustion Chamber Deposit interference Effects in Late Model Vehicles SAE Paper N o 940385 1994
- Nagao, M. Kaneko, T. Omata, T. Iwamoto, S. Ohmori, H. Matsuno, S. “Mechanism of Combustion Chamber Deposit Interference and Effects of Gasoline Additives on CCD formation SAE N o 950741 1995
- Kalghatgt, G.T. “Combustion Chamber Deposits in Spark-Ignition Engines: a Literature Review” SAE Paper N o 952443 1995
- Owen, K. Coely, T. “Automotive Fuels Reference Book - Second Edition” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, USA 1995
- Sengers, H. Rele, R. “Improved Precision in ORI Field and Engine Tests” Coordinating European Council UK 1993
- Leduc, P. Montagne, X. “Characterization and Analysis of the Phenomena that Produce O.R.I.” SAE Paper N o 952393 1995
- Haghgooie, M. “The effect of Fuel Octane Number and Inlet Air Temperature on Knock Characteristics of a Single Cylinder Engine” SAE Paper N o 902134 1990
- Russ, S. “A Review of the Effect of Engine Operating Conditions on Borderline Knock,” SAE Paper N o 960497 1996
- Kalghatgi, G.T. “Deposits in Gasoline Engines - A Literature Review” SAE Paper N o 902105 1990
- Cheng, S.W. Kim, C. “Effect of Engine Operating Parameters on Engine Combustion Chamber Deposits” SAE Paper N o 902108 1990
- Liiva, P.M. Cobb, J.M. Acker, W.P. “Swirl, Fuel Composition, Localized Heating, and Deposit Effects on Engine Knock Location” SAE Paper N o 932814 1993
- Benson, J.D. “Some Factors Which Affect Octane Requirement Increase” SAE Paper N o 750933 1975
- Kalghatgi, G.T. McDonald, C.R. Hopwood, A.B. “An Experimental Study of Combustion Chamber Deposits and their Effects in a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper N o 950680 1995