This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Updated Systems for Water Recovery from Humidity Condensate and Urine for the International Space Station
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 14, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
At the initial phase of the construction of the international space station (ISS) water supply will be provided by the systems located in the Russian segment. The paper reviews the systems for water recovery from humidity condensate and urine to be incorporated in the Russian segment of the ISS. The similar systems have been successfully operated on the Mir space station.
The updates aim at enhancing system cost-effectiveness and reliability. The system for water recovery from humidity condensate (WRS-C) features an added assembly for the removal of organic contaminants to be catalytically oxidized in an air/liquid flow at ambient temperature and pressure.
The system for water reclamation from urine (WRS-U) incorporates a new distillation subsystem based on vacuum distillation with a multistage rotary distiller and a vapor compression or thermoelectric heat pump.
The updating of the WRS-C system will enable an increase in the multifiltration bed's life at least two fold. As regards the updating of the WRS-U system its production rate will be increased by 10 times and energy demand reduced by 10 times as well.
- N. M. Samsonov - AO NIICHIMMASH
- L. S. Bobe - AO NIICHIMMASH
- V. M. Novikov - AO NIICHIMMASH
- N. S. Farafonov - AO NIICHIMMASH
- B. Ja. Pinsky - AO NIICHIMMASH
- G. Kh. Abramov - AO NIICHIMMASH
- S. V. Berezkin - AO NIICHIMMASH
- E. I. Grigorov - RSC Energia
- E. N. Zaitsev - RSC Energia
- N. N. Protasov - RSC Energia
- V. V. Komolov - RSC Energia
- A. I. Grigoriev - IMBP
- Ju.E. Sinjak - IMBP
- V. V. Rakov - LTD Distillatsia
- V. G. Rifert - LTD Distillatsia
CitationSamsonov, N., Bobe, L., Novikov, V., Farafonov, N. et al., "Updated Systems for Water Recovery from Humidity Condensate and Urine for the International Space Station," SAE Technical Paper 972559, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972559.
- Samsonov N.M. Bobe L.S. Grigorov E.I. Grigoriev A.I. etc. Water supply based on water reclamation from humidity condensate and urine on a space station Monterey, USA July 8-11 1996 SAE Technical paper series 961408
- Samsonov N.M. Bobe L.S. Novikov V.M. Farafonov N.S. etc. Systems for water reclamation from humidity condensate and urine for space station 24 ICES and 5th European Symposium SECS Fridrichshafen, Germany June 20-23 1994 SAE Technical paper series 941536
- Samsonov N.M. Novikov V.M. Bobe L.S. Farafonov N.S. etc. Experience in development and operation of systems for water recovery from humidity condensate for space stations San-Diego, USA July 10-13 1995 SAE Technical paper series 951604
- Samsonov N.M. Bobe L.S. Novikov V.M. Pinsky B.Ja. etc. Development of urine processor distillation hardware for space stations San-Diego, USA July 10 13 1995 SAE Technical paper series 951605