This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Flow Front in Resin Transfer Molding
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 03, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The nature of the resin flow front through the preform affects the quality of resin transfer molded (RTM) parts. The resin flow varies as the permeability of the preform. Race tracking occurs when the resin flows at a faster rate along the mold periphery than in the middle section and arrives at the vents before mold filling is complete. While race tracking is natural to the RTM process, very severe race tracking could adversely affect the filling process. A parameter has been developed to assess the skewness of the flow and is being extended to quantify the severity of this race-tracking.
CitationPai, D., Owusu-Ofori, S., and Sadler, R., "Characterization of Flow Front in Resin Transfer Molding," SAE Technical Paper 972208, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972208.
- Brosius, D., and Wadsworth M.. “RTM of a Complex Composite Aircraft Structure,” Composites In Manufacturing: Case Studies, edited by Strong A. Brent, Soc. of Manufacturing Engineers, 1991: 111-120, 127.
- Fong, L., and Lee L. J., “Preforming Analysis of Thermoformable-Preforming Effects on Mold Filling,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 13, July 1994: 637-662.
- Gong, H. “Pressure Distribution in Resin Transfer Molding with a Non-Rigid Fiber Preform”. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 37 (1993): 363-371.
- Han, K., Wu Cheng-Hsien, and Lee L.J.. “Characterization and Simulation of Resin Transfer Molding-Race Tracking and Dry Spot Formation”. Conference Proceedings-Advanced Composite Technologies, Dearborn, MI, (Nov. 8-11, 1993): 19-36.
- Hayward. J.S., and Harris B.. “Effect of Process Variables on the Quality of RTM Moldings”. SAMPE Journal, 26, (May/June 1990): 39-46.
- Kikuchi, A., Higuerey E., and Coulter J.. “An Experimental Investigation of Resin Flow Sensing During Molding Processes”. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 117 (January 1995): 83-86.
- Senibi. S., Clang E.C., Sadler R.L., and Avva V.S.. “Resin Transfer Molding Experiments with Vacuum Assisted Methods”: 529-536.
- Shah, D. “On-Line Monitoring of the Vacuum-Assisted Resin Transfer Molding Process”. M.S.M.E. Thesis, North Carolina A&T State University, 1995.
- Stabler. W.S., “Void Minimization in RTM of Graphite/Epoxy Resin”. M.S.M.E. Thesis, North Carolina A&T State University, 1991.
- Vyas, P. K., “Prediction of Race Tracking in the Vacuum Assisted RTM Process,” MSME Thesis, North Carolina A&T State University, 1996.