This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling and Analysis of Automotive Transmission Rattle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years attainment of high automotive sound quality has become a major effort in automotive vehicle refinement programs. Low frequency vibration phenomena, such as idle shake and transmission rattle, have emerged as major issues in the efforts to minimize undesirable sound qualities. Low gear rattle noise is often touted to differentiate automobile quality.
Transmission rattle is caused by engine excitation and backlash in geared transaxles. Backlash yields piecewise nonlinear characteristics in gear mesh stiffness. Despite intensive research efforts in the past, it is known that numerical difficulties in handling the nonlinearity have prohibited the development of general criteria of design of transmissions to eliminate the rattle noise.
This paper describes an analysis technique for investigation of the rattle dynamics in geared transmissions. A new and powerful technique based on the finite element method in the time domain (FET) is employed for steady-state motion analysis. In this approach, periodic response is sought via a set of algebraic equations in a fashion similar to the spatial finite element analysis used in solid mechanics. This approach offers several potential advantages over conventional numerical methods. It is shown to be particularly effective for obtaining parametric solutions of gear motions.
CitationWang, Y., "Modeling and Analysis of Automotive Transmission Rattle," SAE Technical Paper 972054, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972054.
- Amphlett, S. A. March, J. P. 1995 Study of low frequency vehicle phenomena using advanced modeling techniques SAE Paper 951270 SAE International
- Borri, M. et al. 1985 Dynamic response of mechanical systems by a weak hamiltonian formulation Computers and Structures 20 1-3 495 508
- Croker, M. D. et al. 1990 Transmission rattle analysis IME Paper C404/005 Institutes of Mechanical Engineers
- Lee, L. C. 1993 Numerical analysis of machine joints with clearances University of Maryland, Mechanical Engineering Department Baltimore, MD 21228
- Ling, F. H. Wu, X. X. 1987 Fast galerkin method and its application to determine periodic solutions of non-linear oscillators International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics 22 89 98
- Meisner, S. Campbell, B. 1995 Development of gear rattle analytical simulation methdology SAE Paper 951317 SAE International
- Padmanabhan, C. et al. 1995 Computation issues associated with gear rattle analysis Journal of Mechanical Design 117 1 185 192
- Wang, Y. 1995 Dynamics of unsymmetric piecewise-linear/nonlinear systems using finite elements in time Journal of Sound and Vibration 185 1 155 170