This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Numerical Approach for Piston Secondary Motion Analysis and its Application to the Piston Related Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Piston slap impact noise has been investigated using a piston secondary motion simulation. This simple model accurately estimates piston slap impact, by considering the hydrodynamic effects of the piston skirt oil film and the friction forces at various contact points.
The results were compared with the actual piston motion measured by a link mechanism. Consequently, the calculation accuracy was confirmed to be sufficient to make precise estimates of piston slap noise.
CitationNakada, T., Yamamoto, A., and Abe, T., "A Numerical Approach for Piston Secondary Motion Analysis and its Application to the Piston Related Noise," SAE Technical Paper 972043, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972043.
- Sander, W. Steidle, W. Wacker, E. “Piston Movement and its Influence on Noise of Automotive Engines” SAE paper No. 790272 1977
- Ohta, K. Irie, Y. Yamamoto, K. Nakamura, T. “Study of Piston Slap Induced Noise and Vibration of Internal Combustion Engine” JSME Transaction 53 493 1987 1935 1941
- Li, D.F. Rohde, S.M. Ezzat, H.A. “An Automotive Piston Lubrication Model” ASLE Transaction 26 2 1982 151 160
- Zhu, D. Cheng, H.S. Arai, T. Hamai, K. “A Numerical Analysis for Piston Skirts in Mixed Lubrication - Part 1: Basic Modeling” Journal of Tribology 114 1992 553 562
- Furuhama, S. Takiguchi, M. Tomizawa, K. “Effect of Piston and Piston Ring Designs on the Piston Friction Forces in Diesel Engines” SAE paper No. 810977 1981
- IMSL User's Manual “FORTRAN subroutines for mathematical applications” 1991
- Furuhama, S. Hirukawa, K. “Piston Slap Motion and Engine Noise under Low Temperature Idling Operation of Diesel Engines” SAE paper No. 830066 1983
- Kamp, H. Spermann, J. “New Methods of Evaluating and Improving Piston Related Noise in Internal Combustion Engines” SAE paper No. 951238 1995