This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Theoretical Foundations for High Performance Order Tracking with the Vold-Kalman Tracking Filter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vold and Leuridan  introduced in 1993 an algorithm for high resolution, slew rate independent order tracking based on the concepts of Kalman filters [5, 6]. The algorithm has been highly successful as implemented in a commercial software system in solving data analysis problems previously intractable with other analysis methods. At the same time certain deficiencies have surfaced, prompting the development of an improved formulation. This paper presents for the first time the second generation algorithm and its theoretical foundations. The new algorithm allows for the simultaneous estimation of multiple orders, effectively decoupling close and crossing orders. This is especially important for acoustics applications, where order crossings cause transient beating events. The algorithm now allows for a much wider range of filter shapes, such that signals with sideband modulations are processed with high fidelity. Finally, systems with radical RPM changes, such as transmissions, are tracked also through the transient events associated with abrupt changes in inertia and boundary conditions. The order functions are extracted without phase error, and may hence be used in synthesis applications for sound quality and laboratory simulations.
CitationVold, H., Mains, M., and Blough, J., "Theoretical Foundations for High Performance Order Tracking with the Vold-Kalman Tracking Filter," SAE Technical Paper 972007, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972007.
- Vold, H. Leuridan, J. High Resolution Order Tracking at Extreme Slew Rates, Using Kalman Tracking Filters SAE Paper Number 931288 1993
- Vold, H. Deel, J. Vold-Kalman Order Tracking: New Methods for Vehicle Sound Quality and Drive Train NVH Applications SAE Paper Number 972033 1997
- Steyer, G. May 1995
- Vold, H. Kundrat, J. Rocklin, G. Russell, R. A Multi-Input Modal Estimation Method for Mini-Computers SAE Paper Number 820194 1982
- Kalman, R. E. A new approach to linear filtering and prediction problems Trans. Amer. Soc. Mech. Eng., J. Basic Engineering 82 32 45 1960
- Kalman, R. E. Bucy, R. S. New results in linear filtering and prediction theory Trans. Amer. Soc. Mech. Eng., J. Basic Engineering 83 95 108 1961
- De Boor A practical Guide to Splines Springer Verlag 1978