This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Valvetrain Unbalance and Its Effects on Powertrain NVH
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As vehicle NVH continues to improve, automotive engineers have continually worked at identifying and ameliorating smaller and smaller sources of engine vibration. In this search, what has become an extremely important factor is often overlooked, namely valvetrain related engine unbalance effects.
This paper will present a simple analytical approach to the calculation of valvetrain unbalance effects. Theses unbalances will be compared in magnitude to the well understood inherent cranktrain unbalances. The paper goes on to explain the significant factors that control the directions and magnitudes of these forces and moments. Experimental validation of the analytical procedures will also be presented.
CitationStout, J., "Valvetrain Unbalance and Its Effects on Powertrain NVH," SAE Technical Paper 971993, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971993.
- Phlips, P.J., Schamel, A.R., and Meyer, J., “An Efficient Model for Valvetrain and Spring Dynamics,” SAE 890619
- Kaiser, H.J., Phlips, P., Schamel, A., and Adams, W., “Engine Noise Reduction by Camshaft Modifications in Multi-Valve Engines,” 2. Aachener Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, Oct. 1989
- Kaiser, H.J., Deges, R., Schwarz, D., and Meyer, J., “Investigations on Valve Train Noise in Multi-Valve Engines,” SAE 911062
- Phlips, P., and Schamel, A., “The Dynamics of Valvetrains with Hydraulic Lash Adjusters and the Interaction with the Gas Exchange Process,” SAE 910071
- Ernst, R. and Meyer, J., “An Optimization Algorithm for Improving Cam Lobes towards Reduced Valve Train Vibrations in Automotive Engines,” ISATA Conference, 1992
- Uchida, T. and Katano, H., “Honda New In-Line Five Cylinder Engine - Noise and Vibration Reduction,” SAE 900389
- Eichhorn, U., and Schonfeld, H., “The Valve-Train of Internal Combustion Engines as a Source of Vibrations - Experimental Results and a Method of Calculation,” SAE 905172, 23rd FISITA Congress (1990), Torino, Italy
- Thomson, W. T., Theory of Vibration with Applications, Prentice-Hall, Inc.,1981, pp 21-24.
- Taylor, C.F., The Internal-Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice, Volume 2: Combustion, Fuels, Materials, Design, MIT Press, 1968, pp. 240-263