This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Commercial Van Diesel Idle Sound Quality
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The customer's perception of diesel sounds is receiving more attention since diesel engines are being used more frequently in recent years. This paper summarizes the results of a study investigating the sound quality of diesel idle sounds in eight vans and light trucks. Subjective evaluations were conducted both in the US and the UK so that a comparison could be made. Paired comparison of annoyance and semantic differential subjective evaluation techniques were used. Correlation analysis was applied to the subjective evaluation results to determine annoying characteristics. Subjective results indicated that most annoyance rankings were similar for both the US and UK participants, with some specific differences. Correlation of objective measures to annoyance indicated a high correlation to ISO 532B loudness, dBA and kurtosis in the 1.4 kHz to 4 kHz range (aimed at quantifying the impulsiveness perception).
CitationChampagne, A. and Shiau, N., "Commercial Van Diesel Idle Sound Quality," SAE Technical Paper 971980, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971980.
- Otto N., Wakefield G., “A Subjective Evaluation Analysis of Automotive Starter Sounds,” Noise Control Engineering Journal, 41, pp. 377-382,1993
- David H.A., The Method of Paired Comparisons, 1988
- Russell M.F., Worley S.A., and Young C.D., Towards an Objective Estimate of the Subjective Reaction to Diesel Engine Noise, SAE Paper 870958
- Hughes M., Subjective Evaluation of Diesel Idle Noise Using Simulation Techniques, Institute of Sound and Vibration Research, University of Southampton, Ford Motor Company Limited Consultation Report No 816/94, June 1994
- Russell M.F., Worley S.A., and Young C.D., An Analyser to Estimate Subjective Reaction to Diesel Engine Noise, IMechE Paper C30/88
- Schiffbanker H., Brandl F.K., Thien G.E., Development and Application of an Evaluation Technique to Assess the Subjective Character of Engine Noise, AVL LIST Ges.m.b.H., SAE Paper 911081
- Spiegel M. R., Schaum's Outline Series, Theory and Problems of Statistics, 2nd Edition, McGraw-Hill, 1990