This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Verification of Design Charts for Acoustic Absorbers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Design charts which predict acoustic absorption of porous insulators were verified experimentally using the two-microphone technique to measure the normal incidence absorption coefficient of three glass fiber materials in two different arrangements - a single-layer sample and a single layer in front of an air space, each backed by a rigid termination. The specific flow resistivities of the materials ranged from 2,000 to 52,000 mks rayls/m. Experimentally determined absorption coefficients were in agreement with those predicted by the design charts. The results indicate that these charts could be a useful tool in designing sound absorbers for practical applications.
CitationHastings, M. and Godfrey, R., "Experimental Verification of Design Charts for Acoustic Absorbers," SAE Technical Paper 971951, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971951.
- Mechel, F. P. 1988 “Design Charts for Sound Absorber Layers,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 83 3 1002 1013
- ASTM Designation 1990 “Standard Test Method for Impedance and Absorption of Acoustical Materials Using a Tube, Two Microphones, and a Digital Frequency Analysis System,” American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelphia, PA
- Beranek, L. L. 1947 “Acoustical Properties of Homogenous, Isotropic Rigid Tiles and Flexible Blankets,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 19 4 556 568
- Beranek, L. L. Work, G. A. 1949 “Sound Transmission through Multiple Structures Containing Flexible Blankets,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 21 4 419 428
- Delaney, M. E. Bazley, E. N. 1970 “Acoustical Properties of Fibrous Absorbent Materials,” Applied Acoustics 3 105 116
- Bies, D. A. 1971 “Soft Acoustical Blankets,” Noise and Vibration Control Beranek L. L. et al. McGraw-Hill 245 269
- ASTM Designation 1993 “Standard Test Method for Airflow Resistance of Acoustical Materials,” American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelphia, PA