This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Simulation of Engine-Mount Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a simplified method to determine the vibrational amplitude produced by a four-cylinder engine when supported by a viscoelastic foundation. The pistons, connecting rods, and crankshaft are modeled as rigid bodies connected to the foundation by standard industrial rubber mounts which are modeled with spring and damping elements whose location, orientation, and stiffness can be easily configured for specific design analysis, or optimized to reduce vibration and noise in a design. The paper is presented in a general algorithmic form, with a detailed numerical example emphasizing the three parts of the analysis: the mechanism kinematics, the shaking force and torque determination on the engine block, and the three-dimensional vibrational analysis.
|Technical Paper||Engine Friction Modeling|
|Technical Paper||Hydrodynamic Lubrication Applied to Bearings with Oscillating Motion in Internal Combustion Engines|
|Technical Paper||Applications of Friction Algorithms for Rapid Engine Concept Assessments|
CitationSuh, C. and Smith, C., "Dynamic Simulation of Engine-Mount Systems," SAE Technical Paper 971940, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971940.
- Suh, C. H. and Radcliffe, C. W., Kinematics and Mechanism Design. John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1978.
- Kang and Suh, “Synthesis and Analysis of Spherical-Cylindrical (SC) Link in the McPherson Strut Suspension Mechanism,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 116, pp. 599-606, 1994.
- Paul, B., Kinematics and Dynamics of Planar Machinery Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1979.
- Greenwood, Donald T., Principles of Dynamics, 2nd Edition, Prentice-Hall, Inc, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1988.
- Suh, C. H, Computer Aided Design of Mechanism - Part B. Johnson Publishing Company, Boulder, Colorado, 1992.