This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wave Propagation in Catalytic Converters: A Preliminary Investigation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The present study investigates the wave propagation and attenuation in catalytic converters. The relationships for wave propagation in a catalytic monolith are derived first and then coupled to the wave propagation in tapered ducts. Analytical predictions are compared with experimental results to validate the theory.
CitationSelamet, A., Easwaran, V., and Novak, J., "Wave Propagation in Catalytic Converters: A Preliminary Investigation," SAE Technical Paper 971873, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971873.
- Glav R. Boden H. Abom M. “An acoustic model for automotive catalytic converters,” Procs., Inter-Noise 88 1261 1266 1988
- Ingard U. Singhal V. K. “Sound attenuation in turbulent pipe flow,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 55 535 538 1974
- Roh H.-S. Arnott W. P. Sabatier J. M. Raspet R. “Measurement and calculation of acoustic propagation constants in arrays of small air-filled rectangular tubes,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 89 2617 2624 1991
- Craggs A. Hilderbrandt J. G. “Effective densities and resistivities for acoustic propagation in narrow tubes,” J. Sound Vib. 92 321 331 1984
- Cummings A. “Sound propagation in narrow tubes of arbitrary cross-section,” J. Sound Vib. 162 27 - 42 1993
- Pierce A. D. Acoustics Acoustical Society of America American Institute of Physics 1991
- Stinson M. R. “The propagation of plane sound waves in narrow and wide circular tubes, and generalization to uniform tubes of arbitrary cross-sectional shape,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 89 550 558 1991
- Allard J. F. Propagation of Sound in Porous Media Elsevier Applied Science New York 1993
- Selamet A. Dickey N. S. Novak J. M. “Wave attenuation by universal venturi tubes: finite difference predictions with analytical and experimental comparisons,” Noise Control Eng. J. 44 224 230 1996
- Fargie D. Martin B. W. “Developing laminar flow in a pipe of circular cross-section,” Proc. R. Soc. Lond. 321 461 476 1971
- Sparrow E. M. Lin S. H. Lundgren T. S. “Flow development in the hydrodynamic entrance region of tubes and ducts,” The Physics of Fluids 7 338 347 1964
- Shapiro A. H. Siegel R. Kline S. J. “Friction factor in the laminar entry region of a smooth tube,” Procs. 2nd U.S. National Congress of Applied Mechanics Ann Arbor, Michigan 733 740 1954