This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multivariate Analysis of Engine Noise and Exhaust Emissions from an Ethanol Fuelled Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 20, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The engine manufacturers have to meet more and more stringent regulations on both noise and exhaust emissions in the future requiring extensive optimisation of all parameters of the engine. Soft modelling with statistically designed experiment (SDE) and Multivariate Analysis (MVA) can be an aid in this work. The analyses are based on cylinder pressure data, engine data and exhaust emissions data, with all measurements performed simultaneously. The effects of changes in fuel quality, load, speed, and injection timing on combustion noise and exhaust emissions were investigated using SDE and MVA. The engine was a modified 6 cylinder, direct injection diesel engine running on ethanol. The paper demonstrates the applicability of experimental design and multivariate methods for modelling and minimisation of noise and exhaust emissions.
CitationVillarroel, G., Pettersson, E., and Ågren, A., "Multivariate Analysis of Engine Noise and Exhaust Emissions from an Ethanol Fuelled Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 971871, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971871.
- Pilley A. D. Beaumont A. J. Robinson D. Mowell D. “Design of experiments for optimization of engines to meet future emission” Proc 27th ISATA Cont Aachen 1994 0947719717
- Yan J. Rogalla R. Kramer T. “Diesel Combustion and Transient Emissions Optimization Using Taguchi Methods” SAE 930600 1993
- Box, G. E. P. Hunter W. G. Hunter J. S. “Statistics for Experimenters” John Wiley&Sons 1978 0471093157
- Wold, S. et al Chemometrics and Intelligent Lab. Syst. 2 37 1987
- Höskuldsson, A. “PLS Regression Methods” Chemometries 2 211 228 1988
- Draper N. R. “Applied Regression Analysis” John Wiley&Sons 1981
- Users Guide to SIMCA-P Umetri AB 1994
- Anderton, D. “Engine Noise Measurement” Engine Noise and Vibration ISVR 1995