This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Evaluation of the Use of CFD for Investigating the Performance of Intercooler Assemblies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A three dimensional simulation of the flowfields within an intercooler has been performed, which included both the charge and cooling air flow. The simulation intended to demonstrate the application of numerical and computational techniques to heat exchangers with secondary heat transfer surfaces. The intercooler model selected for this work was typical of commercial designs and some experimental data was available.
A multiblock grid was developed from CAD data using PROSTAR™ meshing software. The flowfield was then calculated using STAR-CD™ finite volume Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software using one processor of an HP K400 computeserver. In the simulation the intercooler secondary heat transfer surfaces (fins) were replaced by conducting distributed resistance (porous media). The resistance had been calibrated by 2D CFD studies of the fin designs. Comparison of the predicted heat transfer with that measured by experiment revealed that the intercooler thermal performance was predicted to 10% accuracy.
CitationWoodcock, J., Baxendale, A., and Fish, G., "An Evaluation of the Use of CFD for Investigating the Performance of Intercooler Assemblies," SAE Technical Paper 971856, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971856.
- Webb R L Chang Y Wang C “Heat Transfer and Friction Correlations for the Louvred Fin Geometry” IMechE 1995
- Hiromatsu M lshinaru T Matsuzaki R “Research on Fins for Air Conditioning Heat Exchangers” JSME Int. Journal series II 33 4 1990 749
- Aoki A Shinagawa T Suga R “An Experimental Study of the Local Heat Transfer Characteristics in Automotive Louvred Fins” Experimenal Thermal and Fluid Science 1989 293
- Suga K Aoki H “Numerical Study on Heat Transfer and Pressure Drop in Multi-louvred Fins” ASME/JSME Thermal Engineering Proceedings 4 ASME 1991
- Hiranatsu M lshimani T Ohkouchi T “Numerical Analysis of lnnerfins for Intercoolers” JSME Int. Journal Series II 35 3 1992 404
- Ha H Y Kim K C Koak S H Kim K H Kim R I ang J K Park T Y “Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer Characteristics in Multi-louvred Fin Heat Exchanger” SAE Paper 950115
- Sharkey P S Heikal M R Cowell T A Taylor N “Computational and Experimental Investigation of Charge air Flow in a Vehicle Intercooler System” Proc 10th Int. Heat and Mass Transfer Conf. 3 233
- Simonson J R “Engineering Heat Transfer” 2nd 033345999 MacMillan 1988
- Clarkson R J “A Thermal and Experimental Study of Automotive Catalytic Converters” Coventry University UK May 1995
- Baxendale A J “The Role of Computational Fluid Dynamics in Exhaust Design and Development” SAE Paper 931072
- STAR-CD Version 2.3 User Manual Computational Dynamics Ltd London