This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Progress on Modelling Engine Thermal Behaviour for VTMS Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A suite of computer programs for engine thermal analysis and the analysis of thermal interactions with external systems has been developed. Defining an engine design is made particularly simple and the representation generated agrees well with measured data. Engine geometry, mass, and internal coolant volume are determined from a short list of key parameters and the selection of a generic template. Thermal conditions in the engine structure are modelled numerically using the lumped-capacity method. Heat exchange at boundaries with gas, coolant and oil flows are described through sub-models giving good agreement with data for global characteristics of engine behaviour. The effects of spark timing and coolant composition on heat transfer rates are taken into account, as is the effect of frictional dissipation as a heat source. Validation and applications of the model are described.
CitationShayler, P., Chick, J., Hayden, D., Yuen, H. et al., "Progress on Modelling Engine Thermal Behaviour for VTMS Applications," SAE Technical Paper 971852, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971852.
- Shayler PJ Christian SJ Ma T A Model for the Investigation of Temperature, Heat Flow, and Friction Characteristics During Engine Warm up SAE Paper 931153 , Proc. of Int. Conf. VTMS 667 676 SAE Pub. P-263 1993
- Patton KJ Nitschke RG Heywood JB Development and Evaluation of a Friction Model for Spark Ignition Engines SAE Paper 890836 1989
- Taylor CF Toong TY Heat Transfer in Internal Combustion Engines ASME Paper 57-HT-17 1957
- Shayler PJ Chick JP Ma T A Global Correlation for Engine Heat Transfer SAE Paper 97...., Proc.of Int.Conf. VTMS3,Pub.SAE 1997
- Shayler PJ Chick JP Ma T Effect of Coolant Mixture Composition on Engine Heat Rejection Rate SAE Paper 960275 1996
- Alkidas AC Effect of Operational Parameters on Structural Temperatures and Coolant of a S.I.Engine SAE Paper 931124 1993
- Imabeppu S Shimonosono H Hirano Y Fujigaya K Inoue K Development of a Method for Predicting Heat Transfer to Engine Coolant SAE Paper 93114 1993
- Shayler PJ Harb CM Ma T Time-Dependent Behaviour of Heat Transfer Coefficients for Exhaust Systems IMechE Paper C496/046/95, VTMS 2 Conf. Proc. 195 205 1995
- Shayler PJ Yuen HCR Exhaust Gas Temperature as a Function of Engine Operating Condition IMechE Paper C496/021/95, VTMS 2 Conf. Proc. 21 28 1995
- Shayler PJ Darnton NJ Predicting the Fuel Consumption of Vehicles for Drive Cycles Starting from Cold Ambient Conditions SIA Paper SIA9506A27, EAEC 5 th Int Congress, Conference 1, Powertrain and the Environment Strasbourg 21-23 rd June 1995
- Shayler PJ Darnton NJ Ma T The Prediction of Fuel Consumption and Emissions During Engine Warm-up IMechE Paper C517/009/96, Int. Seminar on Application of Powertrain and Fuel Technologies to meet Emissions Standards 53 64 June 1996
- Shayler PJ Darnton NJ Ma T Factors Influencing Drive Cycle Emissions and Fuel Consumption SAE Paper 97...., SAE Spring Fuels and Lub.Meeting Dearborne 5-8 th May 1997