This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Correlation of Engine Heat Transfer for Heat Rejection and Warm-Up Modelling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A correlation for total gas-side heat transfer rate has been derived from the analysis of engine data for measured heat rejection rate, frictional dissipation, and published data on exhaust port heat transfer. The correlation is related to the form developed by Taylor and Toong, and the analysis draws on this. However, cylinder and exhaust port contributions are separated. Two empirical constants are fixed to best match predicted to measured results for heat rejection to coolant and oil cooler under steady-state conditions, and also for exhaust port heat transfer rates. The separated contributions also defined a correlation for exhaust port heat transfer rate. The description of gas-side heat transfer is suited to needs for the analysis of global thermal behaviour of engines.
CitationShayler, P., Chick, J., and Ma, T., "Correlation of Engine Heat Transfer for Heat Rejection and Warm-Up Modelling," SAE Technical Paper 971851, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971851.
- Annand WJD Heat Transfer in the Cylinders of Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines Proc.Instn.Mech.Engrs London 177 36 207 214 1985
- Woschini G Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine SAE Paper 670931 1967
- Borgnacle C Arpaci VS Tabaczynski RJ A Model for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer and Turbulence in a Spark Ignition Engine SAE Paper 800204 1980
- LeFeuvre T Myers PS Uyehara OA Experimental Instantaneous Heat Fluxes in a Diesel Engine and Their Correlation SAE Paper 690464 , SAE Trans. 78 1969
- Taylor CF Toong TY Heat Transfer in Internal Combustion Engines ASME Paper 57-HT-17 1957
- Shayler PJ Christian SJ Ma T A Model for the Investigation of Temperature, Heat Flow, and Friction Characteristics During Engine Warm up SAE Paper 931153 , Proc. of Int. Conf. VTMS 667 676 SAE Pub. 263 1993
- Shayler PJ Chick JP Hayden DJ Yuen HCR Ma T Progress on Modelling Engine Thermal Behaviour for VTMS Aplications SAE Paper 97...., Proc.ofInt.Conf. VTMS3 Pub.SAE 1997
- Patton KJ Nitschke RG Heywood JB Development and Evaluation of a Friction Model for Spark Ignition Engines SAE Paper 890836 1989
- Imabeppu S Shimonosono H Hirano Y Fujigaya K Inoue K Development of a Method for Predicting Heat Transfer to Engine Coolant SAE Paper 93114 1993
- May SA Heat Transfer from Combustion Gases in Spark Ignition Engines University of Nottingham 1994
- Shayler PJ Chick JP Ma T Effect of Coolant Mixture Composition on Engine Heat Rejection Rate SAE Paper 960275 1996
- Holman JP Heat Transfer McGraw Hill Book Co. 3rd New York 1972
- Hires SD Pochmara GL An Analytical Study of Exhaust Gas Heat Loss in Piston Engine Exhaust Port SAE Paper 767672 1976
- Caton JA Heywood JB An Investigation and Analytical Study of Heat Transfer in an Engine Exhaust Port International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 24 581 1981
- Sachdev R An Investigation of Instantaneous Heat Transfer Rates in the Exhaust Port of an Internal Combustion Engine Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana,Il 1981
- Shayler PJ Colechin MFJ Scarisbrick A Heat Transfer Measurements in the Intake Port of a Spark Ignition Engine SAE Paper 960273 1996
- Alkidas AC Effect of Operational Parameters on Structural Temperatures and Coolant of a S.I. Engine SAE Paper 931124 , Proc.ofInt.Conf. VTMS 443 458 SAE Pub 263 1993