This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Liquid Film Migration During Aluminum Brazing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects are described in aluminum brazing of a phenomenon known as Liquid Film Migration (LFM). This is primarily encountered when -O temper parts are formed and subsequently brazed. If the combination of material homogenization, alloy and cold work is such that the material does not recrystallize totally before the brazing temperature is reached, then the system begins to equilibrate by rapid solid state diffusional processes. These create a moving liquid interface which sweeps from the clad/core interface into the core of the material. This causes significant compositional changes in the volume through which the liquid film passes. Reduced brazeability (filler metal flow) results from the rapid diffusion of silicon into the core. Additionally, a coarse band of intermetallics is formed upon solidification of the enriched liquid zone which can impair corrosion resistance.
CitationWoods, R., "Liquid Film Migration During Aluminum Brazing," SAE Technical Paper 971848, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971848.
- Schmatz, D.J. “Grain Boundary Penetration During Brazing of Aluminum,” Welding Journal Res. Supp. Oct. 1983 2675 2715
- Nylen, M. et al. “Mechanistic Studies of Brazing in Clad Aluminum Alloys,” Materials Science Forum 217-222 1994 1703 1708
- Yoon, D. Y. “Theories and Observations of Chemically Induced Interface Migration,” Int. Mat. Rev. 1995 40 4 149 179
- Nakkolil, R. et al. “Grain Boundary Liquid Film Migration During Welding of Incoloy 903,” Scripta Met. 1991 26 1599 1604
- Suzuki, H. et al. “Deformation of Brazing Sheet Affected by the Structure of Core Materials During Brazing,” Keikinzoku 1984 34 708 716
- Yamauchi, S. Kato, K. “Influence of Precipitate Dispersion on the Erosion of Lightly Deformed Brazing Sheet,” Keikinzoku 1991 41 4 238 244
- Fujitani, W. et al. “Recrystallization of Al-Mn Core Brazing Sheet,” Keikinzoku 1992 42 6 327 332
- Woods, R. A. Robinson, I. B. “Flow of Aluminum Dip Brazing Filler Metals,” Welding Journal Res. Supp. 53 10 1974
- Kuo, M. Fournelle, R. A. “Diffusion Induced Grain Boundary Migration and Liquid Film Migration in an Al-2.07 wt % Cu Alloy,” Acta Met. 39 11 2835 2845 1991