This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Analysis of Compact Water Cooled Engine Oil Cooler
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The thermal design for a new compact circular external type water cooled engine oil cooler has been performed in the present study to meet the use of one of the typical DOHC 4 cylinder gasoline engine. The oil cooler examined in this study is characterized as one of the highly compact water cooling engine oil cooler having no offset strip fin in oil cooler core and no the encasing body housing. The oil cooler in this study is comprised of the heat exchanger core plates made of multiple identical wavy dimples to enhance the heat transfer in oil flow side and body is made of brazed stacking of identical core plates. In the study a thermal design model has been developed for this new compact water cooled oil cooler. The design model is validated through the experimental data of various coolant and oil flow rate plus temperature conditions. Also a predictive theoretical model has been made, based on the application of the actual thermal fluid flow pattern and construction geometry. The developed thermal design model in the present study has shown an excellent agreement with experimental over a wide range and permitted the performance calculations to get optimum design conditions.
CitationLee, K. and Won, J., "Thermal Analysis of Compact Water Cooled Engine Oil Cooler," SAE Technical Paper 971819, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971819.
- Buonopane R.A. Troupe R.A. Morgan J.C. ‘Heat transfer design method for plate heat exchanger’ Chemical Engineering Progress 59 7 57 61 1963
- Usher J.D. ‘Current trends in plate heat exchanger design’ APV Company LTD Crawley, Sussex, U.K. 1972
- Usher J.D. ‘Evaluating plate heat exchangers’ Chemical Engineering 77 4 90 94 1970
- Edwards M.F. Vaie A.A. Changal Parrott D.L. ‘Heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics of a plate heat exchanger using Newtonian non-Newtonian liquids’ The Chemical Engineer 285 286 288 1974
- Tinaut F.V. Melgar A. Ali A.A.Rahman ‘A Theoretical and Experimental Study of Water / Engine-Oil Compact Heat Exchangers’ SAE Paper No. 911723 1991
- Bond M.P. ‘Plate Heat Exchangers for Effective Heat Transfer’ The Chemical Engineer April 1981 162 167
- Dutta C.K. ‘Effect of Surface Design of Plates on Heat Transfer in Plate-type Paraflow Heat Exchanger’ IE(I) Journal-CH 56 June 1976 122 124