This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimising Cooling System Performance Using Computer Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a lumped parameter method for whole circuit simulation of vehicle cooling systems using the Bathfp simulation environment. The dynamic performance of a 1.8 litre internal combustion engine cooling system is examined. The simulation is compared with experimental data from a test rig incorporating a non-running engine with external heat source and a good correspondence is achieved. The background to the modelling approach is described. It is shown that simulating cooling systems with Bathfp offers the designer the flexibility to assess component sensitivity and changes in system configuration which will aid the process of cooling system optimisation.
CitationSidders, J. and Tilley, D., "Optimising Cooling System Performance Using Computer Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 971802, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971802.
- Tilley D G Burrows C R Development of computer-based techniques for fluid power systems design Design Studies 16 4 October 1995
- Hogan, P.A. Tornlinson, S.P. Burrows, C.R. A Bath@ Simulation of the Warm Up Characteristics of an Engine Cooling System Fluid Power Centre 038 1993 June 1993
- Richards, C.W Tilley, D.G. System analysis with Bath fp Fluid Power March - April 1991 3 50 53
- McCloy D ‘Cavity Forntulation in Valve Controlled Hydraulic Cylinders’ Proc.l.Mech.E. 184 52 1969-70 969 982
- Perry R H Green D W Maloney J 0 ‘Chemical Engineers Handbook’ 6th McGraw-Hill Singapore 1984
- Richards C.W ‘ Bath fp Manual Volume 2 The Bath fp Model Reference Guide’ September 1993 Fluid Power Centre, University of Bath
- Sidders J.A Tilley D.G Chapple P.J ‘Thermal-Hydraulic Performance Prediction in Fluid Power Systems’ Proc.1.Mech.E 210 4 1996
- Eastop McConkey Applied Thermodynamics for Engineering Technologists 668 Longman 1978
- Richards C.W ‘ Bath fp Manual Volwne 2 The Bath fp Model Reference Guide’, Submodel description ‘hpfrsm’ September 1993 Fluid Power Centre, University of Bath
- Douglas, Gasiorek Swaffield ‘Fluid Mechanics’ 265 Pitman 1981
- Union Carbide reference data on glycols
- Physical Property Data Service National Engineering Laboratory