This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advances in the Manufacture and Performance of Aluminium Heat Exchanger Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of aluminium alloys in automotive heat exchangers, including both engine cooling and air conditioning systems, is now well established for vacuum, and more recently, non corrosive flux brazing.
There is a growing trend towards greater weight saving and, thus, increasing the mechanical, thermal and corrosion performance of the heat exchanger. This has placed greater demand on improving material properties for tubestock, platestock and finstock for radiators and other types of heat exchanger units. This paper discusses some of the key material developments within Alcan Rolled Products UK to meet these growing demands from the automotive heat exchanger industry and, in particular the need to select material systems to meet the requirements of individual applications.
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Mutual Thermal Effects in Radiator and Condenser Cooling|
|Technical Paper||Performance Evaluation of Automotive HVAC System with the Use of Liquid Cooled Condenser|
|Technical Paper||Status on Flat Oval Tube Condenser (FOTC)|
CitationBolingbroke, R., Evans, J., and Gray, A., "Advances in the Manufacture and Performance of Aluminium Heat Exchanger Materials," SAE Technical Paper 971798, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971798.
- Marshall G.J., Flemming A.J.E., Gray A.,Llewellyn R., SAE Paper 940505,1994.
- Marshall G.J., Bolingbroke R.K., Gray A., Metallurgical Transactions, 1993, 24A, 1935-1942.
- Finegan W.D., US Patent 4,586,964, May 1986
- Miller P.R., US Patent 2,821,014, Jan 1958
- Fortin P.E., Morois P.H., Evans D.G.S., US Patent 5,037,707, Aug 1991
- Bolingbroke R.K., Gray A., Lauzon D., these proceedings, SAE, 1997
- Takigawa J., Okamoto T., Kobe Steel Engineering Reports, 1992, 42, 1, p45-48
- Yamaguchi M., Kawase H., Koyama H., Fukukawa Review, 1993, 12, p139-144
- ASTM G85-85, ‘Standard Practice for Modified Salt Spray Testing’, 1992, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, P357-361
- Mondolfo L.F., Aluminium Alloys, Structures and Properties, Published Butterworths and Co. Ltd., 1976
- ASTM Metals Handbook, 9th Edition, 1987, 13
- Johnson W.K., Aluminium, 1967, 43, p490-496
- Örtnäs A., Schölin K., SAE Technical Paper 960246, 1996
- Gray A., Howells A., these proceedings, SAE, 1997