This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improved Numerical Noise Predictions for Axial Fans
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 19, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The market needs for quieter engine cooling modules and the upcoming stringent noise level regulations have led Valeo to develop a series of numerical codes which will give the fan designer accurate noise predictions and will also ideally complement its CFD simulation based design for its future fan technology .
The current approach involves three levels of noise prediction: first a global sound pressure level estimate which will use the fluid 2D CFD blade cascade information; secondly, a spectral distribution which relies on fan loads to provide a first estimate of the subjective noise; finally, a temporal approach based on the Ffowcs-Williams theory which will come the closest to the actual measurements and will fully use the 3D CFD fan data.
Validation calculations and first predictions have shown that, even if an accurate absolute noise level cannot always be obtained (within 1 dBA), observed experimental trends are already well captured.
CitationMoreau, S. and Raible, T., "Improved Numerical Noise Predictions for Axial Fans," SAE Technical Paper 971795, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971795.
- “Improvement of Fan Design using CFD,” Moreau S. Bennett E. SAE paper 970934 Detroit February 1997
- “Aerodynamic and Noise Analysis in Axial and Centrifugal Fans,” Raible T. Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya Barcelona-Spain 1996
- “Applied Aero-Acoustics: Predictions Methods,” Roger M. Lectures Series 1996 Von Karmann Institute for Fluid Dynamics 1996
- Chusseau M. These de Doctorat Universite Paul Sabatier 1995
- Ameziane H. These de Doctorat Universite Paul Sabatier 1992
- “Sound Generated Aerodynamically,” Lighthill M.J. The Bakerian Lecture 1961
- “Prediction of Sound Power of Low Pressure Axial and Diagonal Flow Fans,” Fukano T. Kodama Y. Fan Noise-International INCE Symposium CETIM Senlis September 1992
- “Noise Generated by Low Pressure Axial Flow Fans II: Effects of Number of Blades, Chord Length and Camber of Blade,” Fukano T. Kodama Y. Takamatsu Y. Journal of Sound and Vibration 50 1 75 88 1977
- Rey R. 1996
- “The Influence of Propeller Design Parameters on Far Field Harmonic Noise in Forward Flight,” Hanson D.B. AlAA paper 79-0609 1979
- “Noise Generated by Low Pressure Axial Flow Fans III: Effects of Rotational Frequency, Blade Thickness and Outer Blade Profile,” Fukano T. Kodama Y. Takamatsu Y. Journal of Sound and Vibration 56 2 261 277 1978
- “Influence of Blade Sweep on the Noise of Low-Speed Fan,” Guedel A. Yasigi N. Fan Noise-International INCE Symposium CETIM Senlis September 1992
- “Wing Theory,” Jones R.T. Ed Princeton University Press 1990
- Belhabib M. These de Doctorat Universite Paris VI 1995
- “The Effects of Tip Clearance on the Noise of Low Pressure Axial and Mixed Flow Fans,” Fukano T. Takamatsu Y. Kodama Y. Journal of Sound and Vibration 105 2 291 308 1986
- “Influences de I'Interaction Rotor-Stator sur les Perfomances Aeroacoustiques d'un Ventilateur,” Kouidri S. Noguera N. Rey R. Bakir F. Fan Noise-International INCE Symposium CETlM Senlis September 1992
- “Computational Prediction of Vehice Aerodynamic Noise by Integration of a CFD Technique with Lighthill's Acoustic Analogy,” Bergamini P. Casella M. Vitali D.F. SAE paper 970401 Detroit February 1997
- “Noise Generated by Low Pressure Axial Flow Fans I: Modeling of the Turbulent Noise,” Fukano T. Kodama Y. Senoo Y. Journal of Sound and Vibration 50 1 63 74 1977
- “Design of Quiet Efficient Propellers,” Succi G. P. SAE paper 790584 Detroit February 1979
- “Prediction of Ducted Radiator Fan Aeroacoustics with a Lifting Surface Method,” Lohmann D. AlAA paper 92-02-098 1992