This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Non-Thermal Plasma Exhaust Aftertreatment: A Fast Rise-Time Concept
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Increases in efficiency may be possible by a new technique for non-thermal plasma aftertreatment of exhaust gases. The new technique involves very short risetimes (40ps) high frequency (5Ghz) high power bursts of low duty factor microwaves to generate a dielectric barrier discharge. The technique is illustrated in the simplified example of the dissociation of NO in N2. Electric field distributions and enhancing improvements are briefly described for a number of configurations.
The technique is meant to be used in conjunction with material catalyst and can, for a class of catalysts, cause a significant reactivity on the catalyst surface.
- J. H. Whealton - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- G. R. Hansen - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- J. M. Storey - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- R. J. Raridon - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- J. S. Armfield - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- T. S. Bigelow - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- R. L. Graves - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
CitationWhealton, J., Hansen, G., Storey, J., Raridon, R. et al., "Non-Thermal Plasma Exhaust Aftertreatment: A Fast Rise-Time Concept," SAE Technical Paper 971718, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971718.
- WHEALTON J. H. GRAVES R. L. EXHAUST REMEDIATION USING NON-THERMAL (PLASMA) AFTERTREATMENT: A REVIEW,” PROCEEDINGS OF THE 1995 DIESEL ENGINE EMISSIONS REDUCTION WORKSHOP 25 LAJOLLA
- PENETRANTE B. M. ET AL. “COMPARISON OF ELECTRICAL DISCHARGE TECHNIQUES FOR NONTHERMAL PLASMA PROCESSING OF NO IN N2,” 679 687 IEEE TRANSACTIONS IN PLASMA SCIENCE 23 4 1995
- GENTILE A. C. YOUNG J. KUSHNER M. J. “MICROSTREAMER INITIATED ADVECTION IN DIELECTRIC BARRIER DISCHARGES FOR PLASMA REMEDIATION OF N X O Y : SINGLE AND MULTIPLE STREAMERS,” PROCEEDINGS OF THE 1995 DIESEL ENGINE EMISSIONS REDUCTION WORKSHOP 45 LAJOLLA
- PUCHKAREV V. ROTH G. GUNDERSON M. “PLASMA TREATMENT OF DIESEL EXHAUST,” PROCEEDINGS OF THE 1995 DIESEL ENGINE EMISSIONS REDUCTION WORKSHOP 41 LAJOLLA
- PENETRANTE B. M. “PLASMA CHEMISTRY AND POWER CONSUMPTION IN NON-THERMAL DE NO X , IN NON-THERMAL PLASMA TECHNIQUES FOR POLLUTION CONTROL,” PENETRANTE B. M. SCHULTHEIS S. E. SPRINGER-VERLAG BERLIN 1993
- WALLMAN P. H. HSAIO M. E. MERRITT B. T. PENETRANTE B. M. VOGTLIN G. E. “NONTHERMAL AFTERTREATMENT OF DIESEL ENGINE EXHAUST,” PROCEEDINGS OF THE 1995 DIESEL ENGINE EMISSIONS REDUCTION WORKSHOP 33 LAJOLLA