This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Using Multi-Rate Filter Banks to Detect Internal Combustion Engine Knock
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The wavelet transform is used in the analysis of the cylinder pressure trace and the ionic current trace of a knocking, single-cylinder, spark ignition engine. Using the wavelet transform offers a significant reduction of mathematical operations when compared with traditional filtering techniques based on the Fourier transform. It is shown that conventional knock analysis in terms of average energy in the time domain (AETD), corresponding to the signal's energy content, and maximum amplitude in the time domain (MATD), corresponding to the maximum amplitude of the bandpass filtered signal, can be applied to both the reconstructed filtered cylinder pressure and the wavelet coefficients. The use of the filter coefficients makes possible a significant additional reduction in calculation effort in comparison with filters based on the windowed Fourier transform.
A knock classification system based on the duration of the knocking process, defined as the time during which the signal exceeds an energy threshold, is presented using different scales. An advantage of this method is that the relation of the duration between different frequency bands can be used to draw conclusions about the presence of multiple knock.
CitationBurgdorf, K. and Karlström, A., "Using Multi-Rate Filter Banks to Detect Internal Combustion Engine Knock," SAE Technical Paper 971670, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971670.
- Chun, K. M. Heywood, J. B. “Characterization of Knock in a Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 890156 1989
- Samimy, B. Rizzoni, G. “Mechanical Signature Analysis Using Time-Frequency Signal Processing: Application to Internal Combustion Engine Knock Detection” Proc. of the IEEE 84 9 1996
- Puzinauskas, P. V. “Examination of Methods Used to Characterise Engine Knock” SAE Paper 920808 1992
- Poorman, T. Kalashnikov, S. Wlodarczyk, T. “Multi-channel fiber-optic pressure sensor system for monitoring and control of reciprocating engines” 10th Annual Gas Machinery Conference & Exhibition Corpus Christi, Texas October 1995
- Bray, K. N. C. Collings, N. Ionisation sensors for Internal Combustion Engine Diagnostics, Endeavour Pergamon Press 15 1991
- Gao, X. Stone, R. Hudson, C. Bradbury, I. “The Detection and Quantification of Knock in Spark Ignition Engines” SAE Paper 932759 1993
- Meyer, Y. Ryan, R. D. Wavelets - Algorithms and Applications SIAM 1993
- Daubechies, I. Ten lectures on Wavelets SIAM April 1992
- Vaidyanathan, P. P. Multirate systems and filter banks Prentice Hall PTR Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 1993
- Daubechies, I. “Orthonormal bases of compactly supported wavelets” Comm. on Pure and Appl. Math. 4 Nov. 1988
- Daubechies, I. “The wavelet transform, time-frequency localisation and signal analysis” IEEE Trans. on Info. Theory IT-36 April 1992
- Boman, K. “Knock detection with wavelets” Technical Lic. Internal report No. 1995-27 0347-2809 Dept. of Mathematics, Chalmers University of Technology Sweden 1995
- Kikuchi, H. Nakashizuka, M. Watanabe, H. Willson, A. N. “Fast Non-Orthogonal Wavelet Transforms and Reconstructions for Detonation Detection” IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems 1 1993
- Bodin, P. “On Wavelets and Orthonormal Bases in System Identification” Technical Lic. TRITA-REG-9502 0347-1071 Dept. of Signals, Sensors and Systems. Royal Institute of Technology Sweden May 1995
- Donoho, D. L. Johnstone, I. M. “Ideal Spatial Adaptation by Wavelet Shrinkage” Techn. report No. 400 Dept. of Statistics, Stanford Univ. 1992
- Meyer, J. W. Oppenheim, A. K. “On the Shock Induced Ignition of Explosive Gases” 13th Symposium (International) on Combustion 1971
- Maly, R. R. “State of the Art and Future Needs in S.I. Engine Combustion” 25th Syposium (International) on Combustion 1994
- König, G. Sheppard, C. G. W. “End Gas Autoignition and Knock in a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 902135 1990
- Abthoff, J. Fricker, L. Wolf, K. “Mercedes-Benz Anti-Knock Control System. Vehicle Test Results Under Normal and Extreme Conditions” Knocking of Combustion Engines, Int. Symposium November 26-27 Wolfsburg 1981
- Lee, W. Schaefer, H. J. “Analysis of Local Pressures. Surface Temperatures and Engine Damages under Knocking Conditions” SAE Paper 830508 1983
- Leppard, W. R. “Individual-Cylinder Knock Occurrence and Intensity in Multicylinder Engines” SAE Paper 820074 1982