This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Operation on Dimethyl Ether in a Naturally Aspirated, Dl Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A naturally aspirated, direct injection diesel engine was modified in order to be run on dimethyl ether (DME), with a conventional pump-line-nozzle system. The effects of various modifications to engine timing and the injection system as well as EGR were experimentally determined. Compared to the original diesel engine, the NOx emissions were reduced by over 70% through the use of suitable timing, lowered injector opening pressure and EGR. Particulate emissions were very low, and represent over a 90% reduction as compared to the original diesel version.
The original pump-line-nozzle injection system was found to be not well suited to DME operation, CO and HC emissions were substantially higher due to secondary injections, caused by high pressure oscillations and residual pressure with the DME.
CitationChristensen, R., Sorenson, S., Jensen, M., and Hansen, K., "Engine Operation on Dimethyl Ether in a Naturally Aspirated, Dl Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 971665, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971665.
- Brook, D. L. Rallis C. J. Lane N. W. Cipolat D. “Methanol with Dimethyl Ether Ignition Promoter as a Fuel for Compression Ignition Engines,” Proceedings of the the 19th Intersociety Energy Conversion Conference 2 684 1984
- Cipolat, D Jawurek H. H. Rallis C. J. “Methanol/dimethyl Ether Fueling of a Compression Ignition Engine,” Proceedings of the IV International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels II 41 1991
- Myrayama, T. Chikahiro T. Guo J. Mayano M. “A Study of a Compression Ignition Methanol Engine with Converted Dimethyl Ether as an Ignition Improver,” SAE Transactions, 101, J. of Fuels and Lubricants 922212 1992
- Guo J. Chikahisa T. Murayama T. Miyano M. “Improvement of Performance and Emissions of a Compression Ignition Methanol Engine with Dimethyl Ether,” SAE paper 941908 1994
- Ciploat, D. “Emissions and Combustion Characteristics of a Methanol/Dimethyl Ether Dual Fueled Compression Ignition Engine,” Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Combustion Technologies for a Clean Environment 1 8 1995
- Hansen, J. B. Voss B. Joensen F. Sigurdardóttir I. D. “Large Scale Manufacture of Dimethyl Ether - a New Alternative Diesel Fuel from Natural Gas,” SAE Paper 950063
- Sorenson, S. C. Mikkelsen S.-E. “Performance and Emissions of a 0.273 Liter Direct Injection Diesel Engine Fueled with Neat Dimethyl Ether,” SAE Paper 950964 1995
- Mikkelsen, S.-E. Hansen J. B. Sorenson S. C. “Dimethyl Ether as an Alternate Fuel for Diesel Engines,” Application of Powertrain and Fuel Technologies to Meet Emissions Standards IMechE 289 1996
- Bowman, F. M. Seinfeld J. H. “Atmospheric Chemistry of Alternative Fuels and Reformulated Gasoline Components” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 21 387 417 1995
- Fleisch, T. McCarthy C. Basu A. Udovich C. Charbonneau P. Slodowske W. Mikkelsen S.-E. McCandless J. “A New Clean Diesel Technology: Demonstration of ULEV Emissions on a Navistar Diesel Engine Fueled with Dimethyl Ether,” SAE Paper 950061 1995
- Kapus, P. Cartellieri W. “ULEV Potential of a DI/TCI Diesel Passenger Car Engine Operated on Dimethyl Ether,” SAE Paper 952754 1995
- Kapus, P. Ofner H. “Development of Fuel Injection Equipment and Combustion System for DI Diesels Operated on Dimethyl Ether,” SAE paper 950062 1995
- Glensvig, M. Sorenson S. C. Abata D. L. “High Pressure Injection of DME,” ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Meeting Fairborn, OH Oct 1996
- Hayes, T. K. Savage L. D. Sorenson S. C. SAE Paper 860029 1986
- Ofner, H. Gill D. W. Kammerdiener T. “A Fuel Injection Concept for Dimethyl Ether,” Application of Powertrain and Fuel Technologies to Meet Emissions Standards IMechE 289 1996
- Mikkelsen, O. L. “Analysis of Combustion and Emissions in a DI Diesel Engine,” Technical University of Denmark, Laboratory for Energetics 1993
- Sorenson, S. C. Myers P. S. Uyehara O. A. “The Reaction of Ethane in the Exhaust Gas of a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper 700464 1970