This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ATF Nylon Degradation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Nylon is used as a material in the design of various components of automatic transmissions. Pump rotor guides and thrust washers are among components designed from nylon. Nylon must be compatible with automatic transmission fluid (ATF). An immersion test using nylon strips in various test fluids was developed. The nylon color change was independent of the physical properties (as measured by change of tensile force) of the material. Testing indicated that nylon color change is catalyzed by oxidation effects, and the change in tensile strength is related to thermal degradation. An automatic transmission fluid (ATF) containing calcium sulfonate detergent showed better oxidation resistance and caused less loss of tensile strength in nylon 6 (PA6).
|Technical Paper||Compatibility Study of Fluorinated Elastomers in Automatic Transmission Fluids|
|Technical Paper||Improvements to the Aluminum Beaker Oxidation Test (ABOT) for Automatic Transmission Fluids|
CitationWard, W., Snyder, J., Lann, P., and Derevjanik, T., "ATF Nylon Degradation," SAE Technical Paper 971625, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971625.
- Odian G. Principles of Polymerization Third John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1991
- Saunders K. Organic Polymer Chemistry Chapman, London 1976
- Mark H. Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Engineering Second Wiley 1988
- Moiseev V. Zaikov G. Chemical Resistance of Polymers in Aggressive Media Plenum NY 1982
- Riga A.T. Patterson G.H. Pistillo W.R. Scharfand C.R. Ward W.C. “Automatic Transmission Fluid Compatibility with Nylon Components by Thermomechanical Analysis and Thermogravimetry” Thermochimica Acta 226 Elsevier Science 1993
- Riga A.T. Collins E.A. “Material Characterization by Thermomechanical Analysis: Industrial Applications” ASTM STP 1136 American Society for Testing and Materials Philadelphia 1991
- Riga A.T. “Heat Distortion and Mechanical Properties of Polymers by Thermal-Mechanical Analysis” Polymer Engineering and Science 14 11 1974
- General Motors Corporation “DEXRON®-III Automatic Transmission Fluid Specification” GM-6297M April 1993
- Ward, W.C. Jr. Nunnari, J.J. Murray, K. A. “OEM Developments - ATF For Better Transmission Durability” NPRA AM-97-41 March 16-18 1997
- Cornish, C.W. Watts, R.F. “Basestock Requirements of Evolving Automatic Transmission Fluid Specifications” NPRA AM-96-34 March 17-19 1996
- Carlson, Eric Nelson, Ken “Nylon Under The Hood: A History of Innovation” Automotive Engineering December 1996
- McFall, David “GM's Tough Agenda for Lubes” Lubes ‘N’ Greases January 1997