This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fundamental Studies on ATF Friction I.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Automatic transmission clutches are complex tribological systems. Frictional performance is controlled by the interaction of base fluids, additive components, composition clutches, and steel reaction plates with varying energy inputs and thermal stresses in an oxidizing environment. This paper, rather than addressing fully formulated fluid performance in such a system, takes a more fundamental approach where the number of system variables is reduced and the relative effects of formulation variables on system performance can be better examined. Relationships among observed friction performance, system oxidation, friction member condition, and representative performance additives are explored using a synthetic base fluid and a conventionally refined mineral base fluid.
CitationTipton, C. and Schiferl, E., "Fundamental Studies on ATF Friction I.," SAE Technical Paper 971621, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971621.
- Lam Robert C. Kowal Steve “Fluid Transport Phenomena During the Engagement of Fiber-Reinforced Polymeric Friction Materials” SAE Paper No. 922097 October 1992
- DEXRON ® -III Automatic Transmission Fluid Specification April 1993
- Linden J. L Stebar R. F. Kemp S. P “Friction Characteristics of DEXRON ® -III Automatic Transmission Fluids SAE Paper No. 941887
- Ohtani H. Hartley R. J. Stinnett D. W. Prediction of Anti-Shudder Properties of Automatic Transmission Fluids using a Modified SAE No. 2 Machine” SAE Paper No. 940821
- Willermet P. E. Kandah S. K. “The Aluminum Beaker Oxidation Test for MERCON ® World-Wide Service ATF” SAE Paper No. 881673
- Willermet P. E. Kandah S. K. “The Prediction of ATF Service Life from Laboratory Oxidation Test Data” SAE Paper No. 801363
- Papay A. G. “Formulating Automatic Transmission Fluids” Lubrication Engineering 47 4 271 275
- Hamilton G. D. S. Lanthier R. Markin A. D. SAE Paper No. 902145
- Ohtani H. Hartley R. “Automatic Transmission Fluids and Additives Therefor”
- Chandler J. E. Gutierrez A. Ryer J. Yoneto Y. Bloch R.A. Watts R. F Lundberg R. D. “Amide Containing Friction Modiier for use in Power Transmission Fluids”
- Matsuoka T. Ohashi A. Nakayama T. “Effect of Lubricating Oils on Flaking of a Wet Clutch’ JSAE Review 17 1996 127 132