This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Shape200: A Program to Create Basis Vectors for Shape Optimization Using Solution 200 of MSC/Nastran
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One powerful tool for the optimization of engineering components is solution 200 of MSC/Nastran. The user is able to define nearly every kind of objective function and restriction with the help of synthetic responses, in addition to the usual responses. For sizing problems, solution 200 is well-established and reasonably user-friendly. This is not the case in the field of shape optimization. The main problem is the creation of basis vectors, which are needed to describe the shape variations. There are some methods included in solution 200 to create these vectors, but for complex engineering components these methods are difficult to use and very time-consuming.
The program Shape200 has been developed to reduce the effort required to create basis vectors. It calculates shape variations using free-form deformation (FFD) technique, creates the corresponding basis vectors and transfers them into MSC/Nastran by using the DVGRID cards (They are the interface of solution 200 which allows the direct definition of the basis vectors). Some applications will be shown and discussed to demonstrate how Shape200 works in practice.
CitationHarzheim, L., Graf, G., and Liebers, J., "Shape200: A Program to Create Basis Vectors for Shape Optimization Using Solution 200 of MSC/Nastran," SAE Technical Paper 971537, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971537.
- Parametric Technology Corporation, ‘Pro/MECHANICA, Model Reference for Structure and Thermal for Release 8’, (1995)
- MacNeal Schwendler Corporation, ‘MSC/NASTRAN Design Sensitivity and Optimization, Version 68’ (1994)
- Sederdeld T. W., Parry S. R., ‘Free-Form Deformation of Solid Geometric Models’, SIGGRAPH 86, Dallas, August 18.-22., Vol. 20, Nr. 4, (1986), 151-160
- HarzheimL., Graf G., ‘Eine Methode um Basisvektoren für die Formoptimierung mit Solution 200 zu erzeugen (A Method to Generate Basis Vectors for Shape Optimization Using Solution 200)’, Deutschsprachige MSC Anwenderkonferenz 1996, 26.-27. September in München
- Harzheim L., Graf G,, ‘Optimization of Engineering Components with the SKO Method’, Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Vehicle Structural Mechanics and CAE, April 4.-6., 1995, Troy, Michigan, 235-243