This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Trefftz-Plane Drag Minimization at Transonic Speeds
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Traditionally, transonic wing design focuses on tailoring of pressure distributions, with little attention paid to spanwise lift distribution. While off-design considerations may constrain the span loading, it is useful nonetheless to know the optimal span loading. Further, induced drag minimization is useful for integration of other components with the wing, such as winglets and engine nacelles. An optimization scheme has been developed allowing Trefftz-plane drag minimization on complete aircraft configurations using high-order panel methods and full-potential CFD codes. Two applications of Trefftz-plane drag minimization for component integration are demonstrated.
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamic Characteristics Near the Tip of a Finite Wing by a Panel Method|
|Technical Paper||ACCURATE DRAG PREDICTION - A PREREQUISITE FOR DRAG REDUCTION RESEARCH|
CitationSmith, S., "Trefftz-Plane Drag Minimization at Transonic Speeds," SAE Technical Paper 971478, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971478.
- Prandtl, L. Tiejens, O. “Uber Tragflugel des Kleinsten Induzieren Widerstandes,” Zeitshrift fur Flugtechnik und Motorluftschffahrt 24 1933
- Jones, R. T. “The Spanwise Distribution of Lift for Minimum Induced Drag of Wings Having Given Lift and Root Bending Moment,” 1950
- Munk, M. M. “The Minimum Induced Drag of Aero-foils,” 1921
- Cone, C. D. “The Theory of Induced Lift and Minimum Induced Drag of Nonplanar Lifting Systems,” 1962
- Kroo, I. M. “A General Approach to Multiple Lifting Surface Design and Analysis,” AIAA/AHS/ASEE Aircraft Design, Systems, and Operations Meeting San Diego, CA AIAA Paper 84-2507 October 1984
- Smith, S. C. Kroo, I. M. “Computation of Induced Drag for Elliptical and Crescent-Shaped Wings,” Journal of Aircraft 30 446 452 July-August 1993
- Smith, S. C. “A Computational and Experimental Study of Nonlinear Aspects of Induced Drag,” February 1996
- Kuchemann, D. The Aerodynamic Design of Aircraft Pergamon Press 1978
- Epton, M. A. Magnus, A. E. “PANAIR-A Computer Program for Predicting Subsonic or Supersonic Linear Potential Flows About Arbitrary Configurations Using a Higher Order Panel Method-Theory Document,” March 1990
- Johnson, F. T. Samant, S. S. Bieterman, M. B. Melvin, R. G. Young, D. Bussoletti, J. E. Hilmes, C. L. “Tranair: A Full-Potential, Solution-Adaptive, Rectangular Grid Code for Predicting Subsonic, Transonic, and Supersonic Flows About Arbitrary Configurations-Theory Document,” December 1992
- Kroo, I. M.