This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Certification of a Corporate Shuttle Aircraft Interior to Dynamic Occupant Protection Requirements: A Completion Center's Experience
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In support of a Dornier 328 aircraft completion with a corporate shuttle interior, a test program to show compliance with the occupant injury criteria was undertaken. Three seating configurations were developed utilizing two occupant protection technologies. Component-level testing was successfully used to predict the performance of one occupant protection system.
Dynamic testing for injury purposes also indicated beneficial improvements to the seating system, including a change of the restraint system to a more reliable design.
“Lessons learned” from the dynamic testing experience are also reviewed. A novel method of using simple equipment to develop head trajectory information from filmed data was devised, and is explained.
CitationKnott, T., "Certification of a Corporate Shuttle Aircraft Interior to Dynamic Occupant Protection Requirements: A Completion Center's Experience," SAE Technical Paper 971470, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971470.
- Federal Aviation Regulations, Part 25-Airworthiness Standards: Transport Category Airplanes Subpart C-Structure Emergency Landing Dynamic Conditions
- George, Fred “Dornier 328 Corporate Shuttle,” Business & Commercial Aviation March 1996 42 50
- SAE Aerospace Standard AS8049 “Performance Standard for Seats in Civil Rotorcraft and Transport Airplanes,” Society of Automotive Engineers 1990-07
- “Dynamic Evaluation of Seat Restraint Systems & Occupant Protection on Transport Airplanes,” 03 06 90 01 19 96
- “Dynamic Evaluation of Seat Restraint Systems & Occupant Protection on Transport Airplanes,” 01 19 96
- “Seat-to-Seat Installation Tests for Compliance with the HIC in Transport Airplanes,” Transport Airplane Directorate guidance material Seat Dynamic Testing public meeting Seattle, WA October 23 1995 Feb. 16 1996
- “Transport Airplane Cabin Interiors Crashworthiness Handbook,” 7 15 91
- SAE Aerospace Recommended Practice ARP 750B “Passenger Seat Design, Commercial Transport Aircraft,” Society of Automotive Engineers 4 20 65 11 19 87
- FAA Memorandum from Transport Airplane Directorate Mar. 13 1995 Additional guidance concerning dynamic testing of Transport Airplane Seats
- “Track and Stud Fitting for Cargo Transport Aircraft, Standard Dimensions for,” 31 July 1991
- Federal Aviation Regulations, Part 25-Airworthiness Standards: Transport Category Airplanes Subpart D-Design and Construction Seats, Berths, Safety Belts, and Harnesses
- FAA Letter from Transport Airplane Directorate May 8 1996
- SAE Recommended Practice J211 OCT88 “Instrumentation for Impact Test,” October 1970 October 1988 1992 SAE Handbook 4 34.210 34.216
- Bioedel, A.W. “Methods of Crashworthiness Testing for Aircraft Design,” paper 720323 Society of Automotive Engineers 1972
- Baker, Wilfred H. Elements of Photogrammetry New York: The Ronald Press Company 1960
- Hallert, Bertil Photogrammetry, Basic Principles and General Survey New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc. 1960
- Moffitt, Francis H. Photogrammetry 2nd Scranton, Pennsylvania: International Textbook Company 1967
- Rotorcraft and Transport Airplane Seating Systems 3 30 92
- SAE Recommended Practice J138 “Film Analysis Guides for Dynamic Studies of Test Subjects,” December 1969 1992 SAE Handbook 4 34.185 34.186
- “Injury Criteria for Human Exposure to Impact,” 6 20 85