This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vibration and Sound in Aircraft Cabins; A Comparison of Adaptive/Passive and Active Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Comparative studies between competing engineering techniques are complex, since the comparison depends upon the application. This paper focuses upon periodic vibration and noise in regional turboprops and in fuselage-mounted twin-jets. The vibrations under discussion are propeller harmonics of the turboprop and unbalance tones of the turbojet. Broadband noise (wind noise and combustion noise) is not discussed since no mature active technology is applicable to this type of noise.
A large body of both active and adaptive/passive technology is applicable to periodic noise. Much of this technology is proprietary and unavailable to the public. Competing approaches are not openly compared; rather each technology is selectively promoted by its marketing team. This paper attempts a comparison. The authors of this paper are members of an engineering team that has recently finished the development of some adaptive/passive technologies.
|Technical Paper||Lightweight Acoustic-Grade PVB Windshield to Reduce Vehicle Interior Noise|
|Journal Article||Optimization of a Porous Ducted Air Induction System Using Taguchi's Parameter Design Method|
Citationvon Flotow, A., Mercadal, M., Maggi, L., and Adams, N., "Vibration and Sound in Aircraft Cabins; A Comparison of Adaptive/Passive and Active Control," SAE Technical Paper 971463, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971463.
- von Flotow, A. H. Beard, A. Bailey, D. “Adaptive Tuned Vibration Absorbers: Tuning Laws, Tracking Agility, Sizing and Physical Implementations,” NoiseCon 1994 Orlando, FL May 1994
- van Dyke, J. Jr. Schendel, J. Gunderson, C. “Cabin Noise Reduction in the DC-9,” AIAA Paper No. 67-401 June 1967
- Hawkins, J. E. Stevens, S. S. “Masking of Pure Tones and of Speech by Noise,” J. Acoustical Soc. Amer. 22 6 1950
- Webster, J. C. Lepor, M. “Noise, you can get used to it,” J. Acoustical Soc. Amer. 45 3 1969
- von Flotow, A. H. Mercadal, M. “The Measurement of Noise and Vibration Transmitted into Aircraft Cabins,” Sound and Vibration October 1995