This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Life-Cycle Inventory: Data Quality Issues
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Providing confidence in life-cycle inventories (LCI) is dependent on being able to understand the source and extent of uncertainties in data and in the results produced with the data. From a situation several years ago of nearly no methodology for data quality considerations to a future where sophisticated data modeling approaches allow decision makers to obtain quantitative indications of the differentiability of alternatives, the science and art of data quality assessment are advancing rapidly. This paper provides perspective on why and how data quality issues are critical to successful implementation of LCI results and an overview of how practitioners are responding to the need for enhanced data quality assessment procedures. These procedures range from incorporation of individual data quality indicators to statistically-based models for estimation of parameter distributions. Careful consideration of data quality can markedly improve the interpretation and utility of LCIs.
CitationVigon, B., "Life-Cycle Inventory: Data Quality Issues," SAE Technical Paper 971162, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971162.
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 1994 Life-Cycle Assessment Data Quality: A Conceptual Framework Pensacola, FL SETAC and SETAC Foundation for Environmental Education 157
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 1993 Guidelines for Life-Cycle Assessment: A “Code of Practice” Pensacola, FL SETAC
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 1997 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment-Principles and Framework
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 1996 Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment-Goal and Scope Definition and Life-Cycle Inventory Analysis
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 1993 Life-cycle Assessment: Inventory Guidelines and Principles Office of Research and Development 59 65
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 1995 Guidelines for Assessing the Quality of Life-Cycle Inventory Analysis Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response
- Vigon, B.W. Jensen, A.A. 1995 Life cycle assessment: data quality and databases practitioner survey J. Cleaner Production 3 3 135 141
- Weidema, B.P. Wesnoes M.S. 1995 Data Quality Management for Life Cycle Inventories - An Example of Using Data Quality Indicators 2 nd SETAC World Congress Vancouver, BC
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 1997 Life-Cycle Impact Assessment: The State of the Art Report of the North American Life-Cycle impact Assessment Working Group
- Kennedy, D.J. Montgomery D.C. Quay B.H. 1996 Stochastic Environmental Life-Cycle Modeling: A Probabilistic Approach to Incorporating Variable Input Data Quality Intl. J. LCA 1 4 199 207