This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Fuel Composition on D.I. Diesel Engine Particulates and Study of Oxygen-Enriched Diesel NO Formation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel engines are used in heavy duty applications because of their high efficiency and reliability. However, their high diesel particulates and NOx emissions remain major concerns.
An eight cylinder direct injection diesel engine was connected to a partial flow particulate sampling mini-dilution tunnel. Six different grades of diesel fuels were studied for their regular emissions as well as smoke and particulate emissions. Each fuel was tested at three engine speeds and full load. This paper presents the results of these tests which includes analysis of the effects of load, cetane number, 90% distillation temperature, and density for steady state conditions.
A correlation was developed for converting smoke numbers in Hartridge Smoke Units (HSU) to the specific particulate emissions by evaluating results of all fuels tests. Another correlation was also developed for diesel particulates and NOx emissions trade-off.
The authors studied the effect of oxygen-enriched combustion to reduce the particulate emissions. However, oxygen addition leads to increase in NOx emissions. An oxygen-enriched diesel combustion model and NO emissions model were developed to get better understanding of NO formation mechanism.
CitationDesai, R. and Watson, H., "Effects of Fuel Composition on D.I. Diesel Engine Particulates and Study of Oxygen-Enriched Diesel NO Formation," SAE Technical Paper 971143, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971143.
- Bennethum, J.E. Winsor, R.E. 1991 “Toward Improved Diesel Fuel” SAE Paper No. 912325
- Cowley, L.T. Le Jeune, A. Lange, W.W. 1993 “The Effect of Fuel Composition Including Aromatic Content on Emissions from a Range of Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines” Worldwide Engine Emissions Standards and How to Meet Them Institute of Mechanical Engineers London 25-26 May 1993
- Liotta, F.J. Jr. Montalvo, D.M. 1993 “The Effect of Oxygenated Fuels on Emissions from a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 932767, Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Philadelphia, Pennsylvania October 18-21 1993 Diesel Fuels for the Nineties: Composition and Additives to Meet Emissions and Performance Needs (SP-994)
- Betts, W.E. Floysand, S.A. Kvinge, F. 1992 “The Influence of Diesel Fuel Properties on Particulate Emissions in European Cars” SAE Paper No. 922190
- McCarthy, C.I. Slodowske, W.J. Sienicki, E.J. Jass, R.E. 1992 “Diesel Fuel Property Effects on Exhaust Emissions from a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine that Meets 1994 Emissions Requirements” SAE Paper No. 922267
- Ghojel, J. Hilliard, J.C. Levendis, J.A. 1983 “Effect of Oxygen Enrichment on the Performance and Emissions of I.D.I. Diesel Engines” SAE Paper No. 830245 , International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan February 28 March 4 1983
- Watson, H.C. Milkins, E.E. Edsell, J. Challenger, K. 1987 “Increased Diesel Engine Efficiency and Power by Oxygen Enriched Intake Air” University of Melbourne, Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
- Watson, H.C. Gaynor, E. Rigby, G.R. 1990 “Oxygen Enrichment a Method for Reduced Environmental Impact and Improved Economics” Fuels for Automotive and Industrial Diesel Engines Conference 19-20 Nov 1990 Institute of Mechanical Engineers Manchester, U.K.
- Iida, N. Sato, G.T. 1988 “Temperature and Mixing Effects on NO x and Particulate” SAE Technical Paper no. 880424
- Desai, R.R. 1995 “Oxygen Enrichment of the Diesel Engine” University of Melbourne, Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
- Desai R.R. Gaynor, E. Watson, H.C. Rigby, G.R. 1993 “Giving Standard Diesel Fuels Premium Performance Using Oxygen-Enriched Air in Diesel Engines” SAE Paper No. 932806 . Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 18-21 October 1993
- Abbass, M.K. Andrews, G.E. Williams, P.T. 1989 “Diesel Particulate Composition Changes Along an Air Cooled Exhaust Pipe and Dilution Tunnel” SAE Paper No. 890789
- Lambe, S.M. Desai, R.R. Watson, H.C. Rigby, G.R. 1993 “Effects of Fuel Types and Engine Operation on Particulates, PAH and Others - A Literature Review” Australia University of Melbourne, Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
- BOSCH Automotive Handbook 1993 Third Robert Bosch GmbH 229
- Ryan, T.W. Erwin, J. 1993 “Diesel Fuels Composition Effects on Ignition and Emissions” SAE Paper No. 932735 , Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 18-21 October 1993
- Vuk, C.T. Jones, M.A. Johnson, J.H. 1976 “The measurement and analysis of the physical character of diesel particulate emissions” SAE technical paper no. 760131
- Jiang, Q. Van Gerpen, J.H. 1992 “Prediction of diesel engine particulate emission during transient cycles” SAE technical paper no. 920466
- Kashmir S. Virk, U.K Bartels, C.R. 1993 “Effects of oxygen-Enriched Air on Diesel Engine Exhaust Emissions and Engine Performance” SAE paper offer 92P-163 March 1-5 1993 SAE Congress
- Sekar, R.R. Marr, W.W. Schaus, J.E. Cole, R.L. Marciniak, T.J. 1990 “Diesel Engine Experiments with oxygen Enrichment, Water Addition and Lower Grade Fuel” Proceedings of the 25th Inter-society Energy Conversion Engineering Conference 4 American Institute of Chemical Engineers August 12-17 1990
- Yu, R.C. Shahed, S.M. 1981 “Effects of injection timing and exhaust gas recirculation on emissions from a D.I. diesel engine” SAE technical paper no. 811234
- Shahed, S.M. Chiu, W.S. Yumlu, V.S. 1973 “A preliminary model for the formation of nitric oxide in direct injection diesel engines and its application in parametric studies” SAE technical paper no. 730083
- Hiroyasu, H. Kadota, T. 1976 “Models for combustion and formation of nitric oxide and soot in direct injection diesel engines” SAE technical paper no. 760129
- Heywood, J.B. 1989 “Internal combustion engine fundamentals” McGraw Hill Book Company