This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Portable On-Board-Diagnostic (OBD) II/CAN Scan Tool
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Today's laws require that specific diagnostic information be made available on all vehicles manufactured on or after 1994 and sold in the United States. This information is typically available to a portable test device (Scan Tool) that is by necessity, external to the vehicle under test. Since this tool is not a part of the vehicle, it's very nature indicates that it should be portable and battery operated. Usually it is connected to the test vehicle's required female J1962 connector. The interface must conform to the standard pin assignments as designated by the appropriate SAE document.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Test Cases for OBD-II Scan Tools and I/M Test Equipment|
|Aerospace Standard||Validation Test Plan for AS4074 Linear Token Passing Multiplex Data Bus|
|Journal Article||Investigation of High Frequency AC Power Distribution Benefits for the Automobile Auxiliary Electrical System|
CitationShultz, G., "Portable On-Board-Diagnostic (OBD) II/CAN Scan Tool," SAE Technical Paper 971126, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971126.
- J1113 Electromagnetic Susceptible Measurements Procedures for Vehicle Components
- J1211 Electronic Equipment Design Recommended Procedure
- J1213 Glossary of terms for vehicle networks
- J1547 Electromagnetic Susceptibility Measurement Procedures for CM Injection
- J1850 Class B Data Communication Network Interface 4/94
- J1879 General Qualifications and production Acceptance Criteria
- J1930 E/E Systems Diagnostic Terms, Definitions, Abbreviations and Acronyms
- J1962 Diagnostic Connector
- J1978 OBD ii Scan Tool 3/94
- J1979 E/E Diagnostic Test Modes
- J2008 Recommended Organization of Vehicle Service Information
- J2012 Recommended Format and Messages for Diagnostic Trouble Codes
- J2186 Diagnostic Data Link Security
- J2190 Enhanced E/E Diagnostic test Modes
- J2201 Universal Interface for OBD II Scan Tools
- J2205 Expanded Diagnostic Protocol
- J2300 Conformance Test Procedures for OBD II Scan Tools
- ISO 9141-2 Road vehicles Diagnostic Systems - CARB requirements for inter-change of digital information.
- CAN Connective With The SAB-515C Siemens Application Note by Shultz Gil and Wolf Axel
- CAN Connective With The SAB-167CR Siemens Application Note by Shultz Gil and Wolf Axel
- SAE Society of Automotive Engineers, 400 Commonwealth Drive, Warrendale, PA 15096-0001
- ISO, ANSI 11 West 42ns Street, New York, NY 10036-8002.
- Siemens Components Inc. Siemens Components Inc., Semiconductor Group, 10950 North Tantau Avenue, Cupertino, CA 95014
- California ARB Documents Title 13, California code of Regulations, Section 1968.1 Malfunction and Diagnostic System Requirements -- 1994 and Subsequent Model Year Passenger Cares, Light-Duty Trucks, and Medium-Duty Vehicles and Engines (OBD II).
- Federal EPA Documents 40 CFR Part 86 Federal Register Vol. 58 No. 32. Control of Pollution From New Motor Vehicles and New Motor Vehicle Engines; Regulations Requiring On-Board Diagnostic Systems on 1994 and Later Model Year Light-Duty Vehicles and Light-Duty Trucks.