This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation of a FEA Tire Model for Vehicle Dynamic Analysis and Full Vehicle Real Time Proving Ground Simulations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A tire model and its interface performance with road surface plays a major role in vehicle dynamics analysis and full vehicle real time proving ground simulations.
The successful tire model must be able to support the vehicle weight, provide vehicle control and stability, transfer various forces and torques from road/tire interaction to a vehicle chassis/ suspension system. The dynamic effects in terms of tire stiffness and internal damping characteristics in impact loading conditions must also be accounted for in the model.
A Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tire model is established and its performance is validated using LS/DYNA3D* analysis code simulating the radial and lateral static stiffness test conditions, the one-meter dynamic free-drop test condition and the rolling cornering stiffness. The analysis results are compared with available test data and a generic empirical formula.
CitationLee, C., Kim, J., Hallquist, J., Zhang, Y. et al., "Validation of a FEA Tire Model for Vehicle Dynamic Analysis and Full Vehicle Real Time Proving Ground Simulations," SAE Technical Paper 971100, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971100.
- Gillespie, T.D. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics SAE 1992 335 376
- Kenny, T.M. Stechshulte, R.A. “Applications of finite element analysis in tire design,” Tire Science and Technology TSTCA 16 1988 96
- Noor, A.K. Tanner, J.A. “Advances and trends in the development of computational models for tires,” Comp. and Struct. 20 1985 517 533
- Gall. R. Tabaddor, F. Robbins, D. Majors, P. Sheperd, W. Johnson, S. “Some notes on the finite element analysis of tires,” Tire Science and Technology TSTCA 23 1995 175 188
- Gall. R. Tkacik, P. Andrews, M. “On the incorporation of frictional effects in the tire/ground contact area,” Tire Science and Technology TSTCA 21 1993 2 22
- Faria, L.O. Oden, J.T. Yavari, B. Tworzydlo, W. Bass, J.M. Becker, E.B. “Tire modeling by finite elements,” Tire Science and Technology TSTCA 20 1992 33 56
- Faria, L.O. Bass, J.M. Oden, J.T. Becker, E.B. “A three-dimensional rolling contact model for a reinforced rubber tire,” Tire Science and Technology TSTCA 17 1989 217 233
- Padovan, J. “Finite element analysis of steady and transiently moving/rolling nonlinear viscoelastic structure,” Comp. and Struct. 27 1987 249 286
- Luchini, J.R. Peters, J.M. Arthur, R.H. “Tire rolling loss computation with the finite element method,” Tire Science and Technology TSTCA 22 1994 206 222
- Sarkar, K. Kwon, Y.D. Prevorsek, D.C. “A new approach for the thermomechanical analysis of tires by finite element method,” Tire Science and Technology TSTCA 15 1987 261
- Jeusette, J.P. Theves, M. “Finite element analysis of tire/rim interface forces under braking and cornering loads,” Tire Science and Technology TSTCA 20 1992 83 105
- Tseng, N.T. Pelle, R.G. Chang, J.P. “Finite element simulation of the tire/rim interface.” Tire Science and Technology TSTCA 17 1989 305 325
- Tseng, N.T. Pelle, R.G. Chang, J.P. Warholic, T.C. “Finite element simulation of destructive tire testing,” Tire Science and Technology TSTCA 19 1991 2 22
- Murakoshi, H. Ide, H. Nishihata, S. “An approach to vehicle pull using finite element model,” Tire Science and Technology TSTCA 20 1992 212 229
- Kao, B.G. Muthukrishnan, M. “Tire transient analysis with an explicit finite element program,” Tire Science and Technology
- Hallquist, J.O. LS-DYNA3D Theoretical Manual LSTC Report 1018 Revision 3 16.39 16.41
- Belytschko, T. Tsay, C.S. “Explicit algorithms for nonlinear dynamics of shells,” ASME 48 1981 209 231
- Belytschko, T. Lin, J. Tsay, C.S. “Explicit algorithms for nonlinear dynamics of shells,” Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng. 42 1984 225 251
- Hallquist, J.O. LS-DYNA3D Theoretical Manual LSTC Report 1018 Revision 3 6.1 6.12
- Schwerzler, D. “Tire Model Section,” GM Total Vehicle System Modeling Course 1985
- Gardner, I. Theves, M. “Computer modeling of a tire under cornering loads.” Tire Science and Technology TSTCA 17 1989 86 99
- Wong, J.Y. Theory of Ground Vehicles John Wiley 1993 3 76
- Pacejka, H.B. Bakker, E. “The magic formula tyre model,” Tyre Models for Vehicle Dynamics Analysis Vehicle System Dynamics 21 1993 1 18