This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Applications of Computer Simulations for Part and Process Design for Automotive Stampings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recent studies in sheet metal forming, conducted at universities world wide, emphasize the development of computer aided techniques for process simulation. To be practical and acceptable in a production environment, these codes must be easy to use and allow relatively quick solutions. Often, it is not necessary to make exact predictions but rather to establish the influence of process variables upon part quality, tool stresses, material flow, and material thickness variation. In cooperation with its industrial partners, the ERC for Net Shape Manufacturing of the Ohio State University has applied a number of computer codes for analysis and design of sheet metal forming operations. This paper gives a few selected examples taken from automotive applications and illustrates practical uses of computer simulations to improve productivity and reduce tool development and manufacturing costs.
CitationDiller, M., Thomas, W., Ahmetoglu, M., Akgerman, N. et al., "Applications of Computer Simulations for Part and Process Design for Automotive Stampings," SAE Technical Paper 970985, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970985.
- Makinouchi, A. “Sheet metal forming simulation in industry” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 60 19 26 1996
- Ahmetoglu, A. Kinzel, G. Altan, T. “Computer simulation for tool and process design in sheet forming” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 46 421 441 1994
- Haug, E. Lefebvre, D. Heath, A. Recke, L. Guida, M. Panico, F. Westerling, C. Felder, E. Levaillant, C. Netsch, T. Mazilu, P. “Investigation for an Innovative Methodology for Sheet Metal Stamping” Umformtechnisches Kolloquium Darmstadt (UKD '94) March 16/17 1994
- Haug, E. Di Pasquale, E. Pickett, A.K. Ulrich, D. “Industrial Sheet Metal Forming Simulation using Explicit Finite Element Method” Int. VDI Conf. Zurich May 14-16 1991
- Aita, S. Khaldi, F. Fontaine, L. Tamada, T. Tamura, E. 1992 “Numerical Simulation of Stretch Drawn Autobody” SAE International Congress and Exposition
- Ahmetoglu, M. Altan, T. Kinzel, G. “Improvement of part quality in stamping by controlling blank-holder force and pressure” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 33 195 214 1992