This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Physical Properties of Graphitic Silicon Carbide Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The addition of nickel-coated graphite to silicon carbide particulate reinforced aluminium alloys imparts unique properties to the new composite GrA-Ni™; the graphite makes it useful in high wear applications where it behaves analogously to flake graphite in grey cast iron.
Graphite improves scuffing resistance and significantly increases the critical load at which the transition from mild wear to severe wear occurs. The graphitic silicon carbide MMC has better machinability and can be machined at higher metal removal rates than other existing SiC reinforced composites.
Fatigue life was determined to be similar to A356-15% SiC composite.
CitationBell, J., Stephenson, T., Warner, A., and Songmene, V., "Physical Properties of Graphitic Silicon Carbide Aluminum Metal Matrix Composites," SAE Technical Paper 970788, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970788.
SAE 1997 Transactions - Journal of Materials & Manufacturing
Number: V106-5; Published: 1998-09-15
Number: V106-5; Published: 1998-09-15
- Leep, H.R. Herde, D.L. Production Drilling Models for a Composite Material, Machining of Composite Materials II Proc. of the ASM 1993 Materials Congress Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania October 17-21 1993 132 135
- Stephenson, T.F. Bell, J.A.E. Metal Matrix Composites Reinforced with Nickel- Coated Fibre, Cancon 93 Second Canadian International Composites Conference and Exhibition Ottawa 1993
- Bell, J.A.E. Stephenson, T.F. Nickel Coated Preforms 16 Sept 1992 INCO
- Stephenson, T.F. Warner, A.E.M. Wilson, S. Alpas, A.T. Rohatgi, P.K. Aluminum Hybrid Composites containing Nickel- Coated Graphite Particulate Proceedings of Materials Week 1996, joint TMS/ASM conference Cincinnati, Ohio October 8-10 1996
- Bell, J.A.E. Warner, A.E.M. Stephenson, T.F. Siegrist, E. Some Automotive Applications for Cast Graphitic Aluminum Nickel Silicon Carbide MMC Proceedings of Materials Week 1996, joint TMS/ASM conference Cincinnati, Ohio October 8-10 1996
- Rohatgi, P.K. Bell, J.A.E. Stephenson, T.F. Aluminum-Base Metal Matrix Composite April 20 October 27 1993
- Mehta M. Soni A. H. Hole quality, Drilling, Assessment and Integrity Issues in Graphite Fiber Reinforced Composite Laminates: A generalized Approach. Machining of Composite Materials II Proc. ASM 1993 Materials Congress Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania October 17-21 1993 139 152
- Lane C. T. Machining Characteristics of Particulate-Reinforced Aluminum Proc. of the conf. on Fabrication of Particulate Reinforced Metal Composites ASM international 1990 195 201
- Tomac, N. Tonnessen, K. Machinability of Particulate Aluminum Matrix Composites Annals of the CIRP 41 1 1992 55 58
- Baptista, A., M. Davim, J. P. Drilling Aluminum Matrix Composites, Processing and Machining Proc. of the Tenth Int. Conf. on Composite Materials 3 Whistler, B.C., Canada August 1995 581 588
- Weinert, K. Biermann, D. Meister, D. Machining of Metal Matrix Composites-Tool Wear and surface Integrity,, Processing and Machining Proc. of the Tenth Int. Conf. on Composite Materials 3 Whistler, B.C., Canada August 1995 589 596
- Handbook Metals Ninth Machining 16 ASM Inter. Materials Park, Ohio 1985
- Badia, F.A. Rohatgi, P.K. Dispersion of Graphitic Particles in Aluminum Castings through injection of the Melt AFS Trans. 1969
- Prevot, B. Ip, S.W. Sridhar, R. Toguri, J.M. Wettability of Nickel Coated Graphite by Aluminum Dept. of Metallurgy & Materials Science Work Term Report University of Toronto Toronto, Ontario, Canada 1996
- Weiss, D. Using Metal Matrix Composite Castings Proceedings of Materials Week 1996, joint TMS/ASM conference Cincinnati, Ohio October 8-10 1996