This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determining the Value of Vehicle Attributes Using a PC Based Tool
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Product engineers and product planners are routinely faced with trade-off decisions involving the cost of adding a product feature or modifying an existing feature versus its added value to the customer. The purpose of this paper is to assess the use of a personal computer (PC) for surveying respondents' willingness to pay (WTP) for four options - two-tone color, 4x4 drive, sporty trim package, and extended cab -- available on the base 1997 Ford F-150 truck. The results show that the respondents' stated WTP reflected the value of the options as determined from their prices and fraction of sales.
|Technical Paper||Methods for Analyzing the Value of Automobiles|
|Technical Paper||The Flow Reversal Resonator|
|Technical Paper||A Practical Approach to the Selection and Sizing of Brakes to Meet FMVSS-121|
CitationMonroe, E. and Cook, H., "Determining the Value of Vehicle Attributes Using a PC Based Tool," SAE Technical Paper 970763, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970763.
- Cook, H.E. DeVor, R.E. 1991 “On Competitive Manufacturing Enterprises I: The S--Model and the Theory of Quality,” Manufacturing Review 4 96 105
- Fowler, T. C. 1990 Value Analysis in Design Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York
- Randall, A. Ives B. C. Eastman C. 1974 “Bidding Games for Valuation of Aesthetic Environmental Improvements,” Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 1 132 149
- McConville, G. Cook, H. E. 1996 “Estimating the Value Trade-off Between Automobile Acceleration Performance and Fuel Economy,” SAE Paper 960004 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Simek, M.E. Cook, H. E. 1996 “A Methodology for Estimating the Value of Interior Room in Automobiles,” SAE Paper 960002 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Donndelinger, J. Cook, H.E. 1995 “Methods for Analyzing the Value of Vehicles,” SAE Paper 970762 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- McConville, G. Cook, H. E. 1996 “Using Mail Surveys to Determine the Value of Vehicle Options,” SAE Paper 970763 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Green, P.E. Ward, Y. 1975 “New Way to Measure Consumers' Judgments,” Harvard Business Review July-August 107 117
- Sawtooth Technologies 1007 Church Street, Evanston, IL.
- Tversky, A. Kahneman, D. 1981 The Framing of Decisions and Psychology of Choice Science 211 453 458
- Louviere, J. L. Woodworth G. 1983 “Design and Analysis of Simulated Consumer Choice or Allocation Experiments: An Approach Based on Aggregate Data,” Journal of Marketing Research 20 350 357
- Ben-Akiva, M. Lerman S. R. 1985 Discrete Choice Analysis: Theory and Applications to Travel Demand The MIT Press Cambridge, MA
- Cook, H. E. Kolli, R. P. 1994 Using Value Benchmarking to Plan and Price New Products and Processes Manufacturing Review 7 134 147