This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Exhaust Emission from Passenger Cars During Engine Cold Start and Warm-Up
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An increased of carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons emissions from gasoline engines in ambient temperatures at or below 0°C is a key issue, not only in Scandinavia or northern parts of the USA and Canada, but also in countries of Central and Eastern Europe. It is typical of Poland and neighbouring countries that for six to seven months (from October to April) air temperature fails to about 0°C at night, while in winter months this temperature often fails below -10 to even -20°C. Due to this, in these countries the cars are started in the morning when the engine and all other parts of the car are considerably cool. This paper presents a special climatic conditions in view of their effect on the actual exhaust emission from a car with SI engine and results of emission tests for such gaseous pollutants as CO, HC and NOx, achieved during tests performed on a chassis dynamometer according to ECE and FTP 75 cycles. These tests were performed with car conditioned in temperatures appropriate for such tests, i.e. about 22 to 23°C and lower: about 0°C, -3°C, -7°C, down to -15°C and also for a car fully warmed for comparative reasons. It has been found that when the temperature of car conditioning drops, a significant increase in emission of CO and HC is observed during engine warm-up.
CitationBielaczyc, P. and Merkisz, J., "Exhaust Emission from Passenger Cars During Engine Cold Start and Warm-Up," SAE Technical Paper 970740, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970740.
- AVL C. & I: Current and Future Exhaust Emission Legislation. AVL List GmbH, Graz, March 1996.
- Hadded O., Stokes H., Cartmell A.J., Brisley R.J. Brück R.: The Achievement of ULEV Emission Standards for Large High Performance Vehicles. SAE 930389, 1993.
- Hadded O., Stokes H., Grigg D.W.: Low Emission Vehicle Technology for Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle and European Stage 3 Emissions Standards. Proceedings of the IMechE, 1995 Vol 209 No D3, ISSN 0954 - 4070.
- Bardon M.F., Gardiner D.P., Rao V.K.: The Potential of New Technology to Reduce Automotive Cold Start and Warm-up Emissions. C 389/395 IMechE 1992.
- Hördegen H.: Einfluss von Startheizungen auf Emission, Verbrauch und Komfort. 16 Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium 4 5 Mai 1995, VDI VERLAG, Reeihe 12: Verkehrstechnik/Fahrzeugtechnik Nr 139, 1995.
- Laurikko J.: Emissions Performance of Current TWC Vehicles at Low Temperature over FTP and ECE Test Cycles. SAE Paper 940933.
- Laurikko J., Erlandsson L., Abrahamsson R.: Exhaust Emission in Cold Ambient Conditions: Considerations for a European Test Procedure. SAE Paper 950929.
- Laurikko J.: Exhaust emission from Motor Vehicles in Low Temperature Conditions. 3rd Symposium “Traffic Induced Air Pollution Emissions, Impact and Air Quality”. TU-Graz 29-30 April 1996.
- Rijkeboer R.C., Havenith C.: Emissions During Cold Start and Warm-up from Passenger Cars at Low Ambient Temperatures. 17 International Vienn Motor Symposium 25 - 26 April 1996.
- Swedish Environmental Protection Agency.: Cold temperature / Cold start Tailpipe Emissions light duty vehicles. Requirements and standards. June 1994.
- Quader A.A.: Single - Cylinder Engine Facility to Study Coldstarting Results with Propane and Gasoline. SAE Paper 92001.
- Boam D.J., Finlay I.C., Biddulph T.W., Ma T. A., Lee R., Richardson S. H., Bloomfield J., Green J. A., Wallace S., Woods W. A., Brown P.: The Sources of Unburnt Hydrocarbon Emissions from Spark Ignition Engines During Cold Starts and Warm-up. Proceedings of the IMechE. Journal of Automobile Engineering, 1994, Vol 208, No D1.
- Bandel W., Quissek F., Kampelmühler F.: Transient Development of SI-Engines on a Dynamic Engine Test Bed. ATA 3rd International Conference. Firenze 1992.
- Bielaczyc P., Merkisz J.: Some Remarks of the Spark Ignition Engine Warm-up Effect on Exhaust Emission in the Vehicle Dynamometric Standard Tests. Journal of KONES'95 Internal Combustion Engines. Vol.2, No 1 Warsaw-Pozna ṅ 1995. ISSN 1231-4005.
- Bielaczyc P., Merkisz J.: Exhaust Emission During Engine Cold Start and Warm-up. Journal of KONES'96 International Scientific Conference on Combustion Engines. Zakopane 1996. ISSN 1231-40005.